Over Night Temperatures

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
at 9am they called me one of the shotblasters was down, it took 5 try's to get out but made it. once home the top of the driveway was not much better. decided to back all the way down, plus right where i park the truck both areas do not get a lot of sun during the winter... dw said it took 6 trys to get out at the top..
definitely going to purchase a few bags of water softener salt to keep at the house.....

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Portland, Ore. , across the Columbia River from us ( according to the non stop news this morning ) had a "historical " snow fall last night. Record snow was 19" Dec. 2008. Portland International Air Port has 10" of snow on the ground and 28*, all flights are cancelled. Downtown Portland and Vancouver, Wa. has from 10" - 12" with more snow in some areas. We are 10 miles NE from Vancouver and at 11AM I measured 5 1/2" of snow on top of 1/4" of black ice under the snow. The weather folks are predicting another 2" of snow for us and supposed to stop at 3 this afternoon... currently snowing. On the news report right now they are showing a fire truck that has spun out and sitting in a ditch side ways. A truck- trailer has spun out sideways on the on ramp Exit of I 205 from I - 5 with traffic backed up for miles since 2 AM. All schools in the area are closed for today as well as most businesses as most traffic is at a standstill or most people are staying home playing on the road covered snow. All tree branches are covered in snow , with many branches reaching the ground. Many trees have fallen, One huge tree at Portland State University fell onto the student union building knocking out a dozen windows and caused some damage to the building. Our neighbor kids are outside playing with snow boards, running slipping and falling down often on the roads. Coats and backsides covered in snow. My wife and I are :caf .

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Well, the temperature wasn't bad, but we got 5' of fresh snow with more to come, at our mountain place, this is on top of 3' of packed snow, it takes 5 or more to get 3'.

The talk is 12" of rain. Each inch of rain=one foot of snow.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DS in Portland went off to work today from his home in Portland to his work, near Beaverton.

I suppose that Beaverton is aptly named but he has to get through some hills on the way. During their last "winter event," he couldn't bring his car home for 2 nights, leaving it in the office parking lot. He left the car at home and took public transportation. Of course, one of the reasons he prefers to take the car is that these "events" interfere with public transit, as well. At least, the last problem with ice did.

A firetruck and ambulance showed up on my road, yesterday. The new neighbor had fallen on his front steps. We arrived just a few moments after the ambulance. Two school buses squeezed by along the unplowed road. A car was stuck waiting behind them but the girl had friends to push. After everyone left, I tried to back into my driveway and was nearly stuck with the pickup in the middle of the road. There's a fair amount of snow but the problem was all the heavy vehicles making a mess of it. I finally "broke free" and made about 1 mile circle so that I could get close to the driveway again and just nosed it in at as high a speed as I thought I could control it without high centering on a berm! I'd already dug the driveway out and even widened it but when the vehicle is fishtailing down the road - anything can happen on spinning it at 90°!

Home ... the snow plow came overnight and I removed the berm, including where it had plowed in another neighbor who parked her car in fron of my house. Single digitS' for a few night and then it is supposed to warm to 40°f and rain ..!

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
DS and I went to the store and getting more slick now that it stopped snowing. People getting stuck and spinning tires. He has a permit and this summer he had asked me if he would be able to drive on ice or have to wait and I told him today that he will not even know how to drive on dry pavement. It is now about 7 and we might see 40 next Wednesday also.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It may be a good thing for him to gain early experience in snow and ice. Kinda like me first learning to drive a farm truck and a pickup, out on the road ... I guess.

So many seasons. I get out in that first snow and literally have to shake myself, so as to focus on skills neglected for months with summer driving. If the vehicle is likely to slide, I have to "stay loose" so as not to just rely on the quickness of my reflexes.

Instead of quick physical reflexes, I need quick perception of not only what the tires are doing but ... up the dang street, and what the other vehicles are doing. Lead time is so greatly lengthened with winter driving. It's true in heavy rain too. You southerners should know something about that ;).

It's 9°f and supposed to be colder with freezing fog through the day ... what the heck! Good thing I don't have to go anywhere.

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a balmy 68* here with high winds....has to be some kind of record for this state, as even my ol' Ma doesn't ever remember a winter this warm. Sitting here in front of an open window and had my window open last night also when it was still in the 60s.

Weird, weird weather.

Latest posts