Over Night Temperatures

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a balmy 68* here with high winds....has to be some kind of record for this state, as even my ol' Ma doesn't ever remember a winter this warm. Sitting here in front of an open window and had my window open last night also when it was still in the 60s.

Weird, weird weather.
Wow Bee, that's much warmer than here in sunny California. I don't remember ever it being that warm here in winter.

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
It may be a good thing for him to gain early experience in snow and ice. Kinda like me first learning to drive a farm truck and a pickup, out on the road ... I guess.

It's 9°f and supposed to be colder with freezing fog through the day ... what the heck! Good thing I don't have to go anywhere.

Steve

I agree about learning to drive on snow and ice. I always warn about black ice and when teaching DD, never was any black ice and I think she thought I made it up, but one night she was driving and hit a patch and truck slid and she handled it okay, but after that she knew I did not make it up. We just have not had a lot of that lately. Once I saw more people falling down in the grocery store parking lot that were walking and I used to slide right by my driveway at night. It is 23, sun shinning and birds making a few noises and going to be 3 tonight with fog here too.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The temperature was 6* this morning in our snow covered small town in SW Washington. This broke the record by 2* set in 1950. I drove through Vancouver Wa. on I-5 this morning. The highway was clear of snow but the road was now wet in places from the melting snow. I drove at 50 MPH. After I crossed the bridge over the Columbia River into Portland Ore., the traffic slowed to 5MPH due to 2 traffic lanes being covered in packed refrozen snow turned ICE. The other 2 open lanes were like a washboard with a number of cars and trucks spinning out. Downtown surface streets were just as bad washboards as the highway. Oregon's policy is not to place salt on the roads , only plow the snow on major roads and then spread a little sand on them. Washington plows the snow off, spreads sand and salt on the roads. The number of accidents that I saw in just a few hours of driving on the highway then surface streets this morning in Portland was unbelievable. Day and night difference from Washington. But what do I know , Oregon's ODOT are the experts.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The nearest Weather Underground station says it's -1°f right now. For some reason, I have all my outdoor thermometers shut away in cabinets, waiting to go in the greenhouse, etc. for when I begin trying to grow some things :).

The outdoor air is heavy with the cold. The storm door is also heavy to open because that pneumatic cylinder is so sluggish that it takes extra effort ... and, more time for it to close ... after I passed on my way to the frozen compost bucket. This is winter bucket #5 full and I only have 4 big pots to cover them over by the chicken house. What am I gonna do with all these kitchen scraps ... especially since there are no chickens to help me out?!

Lots of snow here but, probably, just above average - a very good thing considering the possibility of drought. The berms along my driveway are above 3', as measured by my picket fence. I'd like to take that fence off in panels and paint them in the garage this winter but that will have to wait for some warmth.

I hope that there is "fruit" arriving with the "Pineapple Express" that is supposed to be on its way! We will see what 40° and some rain will do with all this snow, in a couple of days ..!

Steve
If I was better adapted, and several degrees of latitude and longitude away at the Portland Zoo:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm surprised by the -1 reading. My two (very less than accurate ) outside thermometers registered 16 and 20 respectively at 6 a.m. this morning.
They are like an old married couple, quibbling over small details. They are also close to the house, one under the front eaves in the entry where my front door does a lot of heavy breathing, and one on the outside of the kitchen window. I know they both register warmer than the actual outside temperature, but I don't think it's probably more than a 5 degree difference.
It felt cold but not in the negatives while I did my morning chores.
Sometimes I wonder at the Wunderground stations. A week ago the one I access had some ridiculously warm temperature posted that was impossibly high. I didn't go back and look at it later to see if it had been adjusted.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
  • Felt's Field has it as 1°f and only 7°, right now.
  • Coeur d'Alene airport, 6° for the minimum 6 hour but 18°, right now!
  • Cheney was -10° at one point this morning!
Coeur d' Alene must getting a little more sunshine.

Flurries tonight and freezing fog with Monday night the beginning of the big change, I guess.

Steve

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
We have a bit in the mountains, snow that is~this isn't powder it's pack, it takes 24' of powder to make this pack. It has to be chopped down with a shovel to blow it with a Snowblower.

Attachments

• IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0409.JPG
    IMG_0409.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 146

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If we weren't so likely to end up in a deficit for moisture this year, I'd try to make a deal with you @valley ranch to carry off some of what we've got! I'm so tired of snow-packed driveways, streets and sidewalks. If any ground/asphalt/concrete shows up, it's covered with ice at least 75% of the day. I am so bored walking the Indoor Mile and being cooped up!

Right now, we are under an air stagnation advisory. Air quality is right in the middle of Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups. I think we might get outta this without it tripping over the line to simply Unhealthy. We have to get into Monday when there's a chance of a snow storm coming in and moving some of this thick air off to some other person's neighborhood! I saw the sun for a little while early this morning but, otherwise, it has been a dull sameness endlessly! Hours and hours of freezing fog ... couple days ago it was 30°f at dawn and 33° for a high ..!! Wow! There's some solar energy! Maybe it went to Alberta ... where we will probably send this dirty air in about 48 hours. Colder in the morning lately and that's about all I can say for any change.

Strange to be hoping for more snow - berms are still above my 3' fence along the driveway where they've been for weeks. Nothing "alpine" with the feel of things around here. It's more like living under the lid of my Kenmore freezer!

Steve