1. Dismiss Notice
  2. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Featured Thread: Chipmunks !!!!!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Say Cheese!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by digitS', Dec 10, 2014.

1. Dec 11, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Garden Master

One grain, @Nyboy? That's one group I'd need a whole salt shaker and still question the results.

Nyboy likes this.
  2. Dec 12, 2014
    TheSeedObsesser

TheSeedObsesser Deeply Rooted

I respect the fact that you have much more experience than I when it comes to dairies and the system that works with them. Like I said before though, that's still California (a state who's government cares about where it's peoples' food comes from). There's corruption in the system as a whole. Small farms throughout much of the U.S. for ridiculous reasons such as selling canned goods without a "canning license." As far as I'm concerned, the most serious thing that California is dealing with agriculture-wise is water laws.

"If the dairies are as bad as some of these " independent researchers" claim, they wouldn't be in business for very long as the State Health Departments anywhere in the US would step in post haste, and anyone that would get sick would file lawsuits galore."

I would be so sure that the State Health Departments would step in to shut farms like that down. (Like I said before, corruption in the system. And it's spread through all areas like a cancer.) And sure anybody that would get sick would file lawsuits galore, but that doesn't mean that the head of the dairy would allow them to win that lawsuit. They have both the money and the lawyers to make sure that they don't lose.

Humans are extremely biased and opinionated creatures, this clouds their visions from the actual truth. All that we have is opinion and opinion that is widely accepted. Everybody has "slants of views' and most of us also have an axe to grind. I'm not saying that my view is right (because I'm certain that I'm not completely right). I guess that what I'm trying to say is that "everything is not as it seems."

3. Dec 12, 2014
    TheSeedObsesser

I cant's stand PETA. I am for animal rights and against animal abuse (I have morals). But those extremists took things way too far, contorting the truth and exaggerating things along the way.

Nyboy likes this.
  4. Dec 12, 2014
    Pulsegleaner

Pulsegleaner Deeply Rooted

I lost most of my respect for PETA when I found out that nearly all of the rescued animals are automatically euthanized; that somehow they consider killing cats and dogs more humane that leaving them with their owners on the grounds that "animals such as cats and dogs are abominations that should never have been created" What little I had left evaporated when I asked a member back in college why they opposed a plan to reduce a local cow herd by use of contraceptives (rather than killing members off) and they said that using them "violated the cows right to unfettered reproduction" (while still maintaining that the cows should be all confiscated and euthanized)
    I have come to the conclusion that many of the more extreme members of PETA are not so much "pro-animal" as "anti-human". I have no doubts that, if PETA ever did achieve it's wish of total animal liberation, they'd then just take up the cause of protecting the rights of plants, protists, fungi etc.) Someday we'll probably see protests against the use of medicine (or even attempts to mandate universal perpetual use of immunosupessants) so as to "stop the slaughter of billions of innocent viruses and bacteria"

Smart Red and Nyboy like this.
  5. Dec 12, 2014
    catjac1975

catjac1975 Garden Master

OMG

6. Dec 12, 2014
    catjac1975

catjac1975 Garden Master

A relative of my husbands is a dairy farmer in upstate NY. They always drank their own fresh milk. It seemed well run but, how would I know. One thing that has always stuck with me was that he sad that as soon as a cow got sick it went straight to becoming a Big Mac. I get it that you probably could not afford to merely stick a couple of thousand dollar in a hole because it got sick. But, one more reason that I would never eat there.

7. Dec 12, 2014
    bobm

bobm Garden Addicted

One of my son's father in law owns a law firm with 13 lawyers specializing in agriculture water rights, so I can write a 10 volume book on the subject. California is NOT the only State that cares about where it's peoples' food comes from. Why do you think that the States have Land Grant Universities ? How about Health Departments ? How about State Agriculture Departments ? How about the State Attorney Generals ? How about the State Welfare Departments ? Etc. It seams that you have taken on some of the views of some that " everything is not as it seems" for their own agenda. Why do so many folks sell their canned goods at farmer's markets without a " canning license" and these "independent researchers" have no problem with it ? Are these " independent researchers" corrupt too ? Oh Grasshopper, open your eyes ... you have much to learn ! :old

Smart Red likes this.
  8. Dec 12, 2014
    canesisters

canesisters Garden Master

9. Dec 12, 2014
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Can we be more respectful of other's opinions even though they differ than ours? We don't need to go to name calling.

Mary

Nyboy and canesisters like this.
  10. Dec 13, 2014
    TheSeedObsesser

Agreed. To each their own. Argument ends here on my part.