Thanksgiving Battle

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had our Thanksgiving meal yesterday (Friday) to accommodate my son's SO who had to work on Thursday.
I cooked the turkey, dressing and gravy and pies, son brought green bean casserole and potatoes.
The meal was so-so, at best, in my estimation. Dressing wasn't up to my standards, nor was the gravy. (Potatoes and green beans were good!) (Pies weren't spectacular, either)

We had my son, his 4 kids, and his SO, the mother of the youngest child there, 2 and a half years old.
I was amazed that the mom went into the living room and laid down on the floor and went to sleep. She got up to eat, but left the table before she ate hardly anything, went back to the floor to sleep. Hardly participated in any of the conversation, didn't help with her little boy at all. My son said she had slept 11 hours the night before. He seemed resigned, and aggravated.
The kids all acted like they were used to it. I felt bad for them. At one point I went to her and asked her if she need to go to the doctor. She said no, she was alright, just tired. I told her, no that is not alright. You need to see a doctor. I said I was worried that she was not able to care for her little boy, that her feeling that tired was not normal.
I didn't think about it at the time, but later remembered being told that she lost custody of her other child about 8 years ago (before we knew her) reportedly for being "unfit."
I think I saw a slight "deer in the headlights" look when I mentioned her inability to take care of her child. It wasn't my intent to threaten her, but she may have taken it that way. But if it takes that to make her do what is necessary to get back into life, I'm OK with it.
I'M the one with no energy around here; I'll not have her usurping my position! :rolleyes:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had our Thanksgiving meal yesterday (Friday) to accommodate my son's SO who had to work on Thursday.
I cooked the turkey, dressing and gravy and pies, son brought green bean casserole and potatoes.
The meal was so-so, at best, in my estimation. Dressing wasn't up to my standards, nor was the gravy. (Potatoes and green beans were good!) (Pies weren't spectacular, either)

We had my son, his 4 kids, and his SO, the mother of the youngest child there, 2 and a half years old.
I was amazed that the mom went into the living room and laid down on the floor and went to sleep. She got up to eat, but left the table before she ate hardly anything, went back to the floor to sleep. Hardly participated in any of the conversation, didn't help with her little boy at all. My son said she had slept 11 hours the night before. He seemed resigned, and aggravated.
The kids all acted like they were used to it. I felt bad for them. At one point I went to her and asked her if she need to go to the doctor. She said no, she was alright, just tired. I told her, no that is not alright. You need to see a doctor. I said I was worried that she was not able to care for her little boy, that her feeling that tired was not normal.
I didn't think about it at the time, but later remembered being told that she lost custody of her other child about 8 years ago (before we knew her) reportedly for being "unfit."
I think I saw a slight "deer in the headlights" look when I mentioned her inability to take care of her child. It wasn't my intent to threaten her, but she may have taken it that way. But if it takes that to make her do what is necessary to get back into life, I'm OK with it.
I'M the one with no energy around here; I'll not have her usurping my position! :rolleyes:
I had a parent once who had a certain rare condition who could only stay awake for a couple hours and then had to take a nap. The nap would be anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. He couldn't work or take care of his baby so he had a nanny. I had the older child in my preschool. Sadly his wife surprised him one day telling him she wanted a divorse. I think she just couldn't take it anymore. He was also a little difficult to deal with.

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think part of it could be holiday depression, but also just depression/mourning, as she lost her mother about a month back, after a long illness. They hadn't been close in recent years, but that might make a person mourn more deeply.
She never has been high or even average energy, as long as I have known her.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mononucleosis
Pregnant.
holiday depression?
I think part of it could be depression/mourning, as she lost her mother about a month back.
Also Lime disease or thyroid, or even a sleep disorder can cause sleepiness. I know I've gone back to bed and done more sleeping this past year, but I'm getting better with the passing of time.

With a sleep disorder, she may seem to be getting enough rest but not a high quality of sleep.

Definitely general depression is possible. There are chemical reasons for depression that medication (and I am not big for more medication) can certainly help.

An honest visit with the doctor is really a good idea. It may be something medical that can be corrected rather than blaming her it as her fault. . . a difficult discussion, but done with love and caring it may be accepted by your grandson's mother as a viable option.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"An honest visit with the doctor is really a good idea. It may be something medical that can be corrected rather than blaming her it as her fault. . . a difficult discussion, but done with love and caring it may be accepted by your grandson's mother as a viable option."

I beat myself for years thinking I was just plain lazy until coming down with Bell's Palsy for the second time. I had a new GP. I unloaded on the poor guy all the problems I've had over the years, up until then not getting a valid explanation for any of them, you know it's the shrug and all in her head look you get.
He gave me a funny look and said he was going to do a couple of tests, he would phone when the results were in. When he phoned he said there's good news and bad news, you don't have Lyme disease but you do have Lupus. He figured I'd had it most of my adult life but it was never diagnosed. As much as this was bad news I was so relieved at knowing I had a legitimate reason for how I felt and it wasn't just pure laziness. When you know what the problem is it's so much easier to deal with. Yes, a real checkup with a doctor who actually listens is more than half the battle.

Annette

Last edited:

Latest posts