That blue bottle tread that we all needed but dared not start.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haha! You made me laugh at your serious drinking Lesa! I guess we'll be able to tell when you've been making good progress on your edging by your slurred speech and suppressed giggles huh?

I have so far got 3 bottles out of 16 needed on my moms bottle tree. I have a few waiting for me to remove labels, but I see a long wait to get it finished.
I don't drink so I'll have to show some creative initiative to get the thing done.
My sister dumpster dives at the recycle bin at the dump....ours doesn't recycle glass anymore though, so I'm off the hook there!

I read a suggestion somewhere that Pier 1 has colored bottles, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Avon Skin-so-Soft works like a charm to get the labels or glue residue off. I just spray some on, let it sit for 15 minutes or so, then come back and rub it right off with a dishcloth.

I bought one of those glass cutter tools and have made 2 windchimes so far (and destroyed many nice bottles until I got it figured out!) It's hard to find the pretty blue bottles at the recycle center. Most are brown or green. I am still on the hunt for more.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Journey, you should post some pics of your wind chimes! They sound very charming. I have a client who has offered her wine bottles to me but they were a weird greeny amber color, so I declined. I should tell her if she's going to drink, to drink something that comes in a blue bottle! :p Or red!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, I remember I had one of those glass cutters when I was a kid...don't think I ever got the hang of it! Windchimes sound like a great idea! The blue bottles are hard to come by. Budlight makes something in a blue bottle- too bad I hate beer! Thistle, Pier 1 does have some nice bottles- not cheap, but you won't need a million for your project.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't know they came in red. Neat! I have one here, but gave the other to my mom. I'll go snap a pic...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Journey, you should post some pics of your wind chimes! They sound very charming. I have a client who has offered her wine bottles to me but they were a weird greeny amber color, so I declined. I should tell her if she's going to drink, to drink something that comes in a blue bottle! :p Or red!
I definitely agree, if your going to drink at least drink out of a pretty bottle! I'm all for pretty.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used hemp cord to hang it because it looks nicer, but I'm not sure how long it will hold up. If it breaks and lands in the mulch, it should be ok. I wanted something more nature-themed for the flag at the bottom, but had to settle for wooden hearts and stars cut-outs I found at the craft store. Gonna see if I can come up with something better... It makes such a soft and peaceful sound, more like a bell than a chime really.

IMGP6696_web.jpg

Closeup of the etching... The one I made for my mom has a hummingbird and flowers on it.

IMGP6697_web.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lovely chimes. I found a delicious blue wine bottle. The wine? Not so much, but drinkable. So far I've gotten -- er -- gone through three blue bottles (in two months). Make that two bottles empty and one in the wine rack.

No one here drinks beer. It would certainly be cheaper to collect beer bottles than the wine ones. Oh, well. I have DH's promise to come up with something stunning with the bottles I do collect.

I stopped looking when I found the blue. Now I'm wondering if wine in red bottles tastes better than that in blue? Back to the "House of Drink" (and depravation) I go.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh...I love the windchimes! Yes, inquiring minds want to know how you did the etching??

Latest posts