The Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans Varieties Nearly Free

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hal said:
TheSeedObsesser said:
Look third down, page 3,743.

So I'm guessing that they do give out samples, just not to the everyday gardener?

My Kenyan neighbor, Aloys (Allah-weez) is a high preist from Nairobi, the capital. He was looking for seed to start a farm for his small village back in Kenya. This was a while ago, and we just went out and bought him a large baggy of crap seed. Do you think that he could obtain a sample of some of these. I already plan to give him some of those Mrocuimere beans that Blujay gave me. (Thanks Bluejay!)
Mrociumere is a good start as it originates from Kenya.
CIAT have been doing some good work in Africa, they have been working on providing bean varieties with increased nutritional value and better disease resistance ect. They could probably provide some information on where to get those varieties over in Africa.
This link also might indicate that Koronis Purple would grow alright http://marigatmaarifa.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/normal-0-false-false-false-en-sg-x-none.html
I am curious to find out how it made its way to Africa.
I will give him the website. He will love it if he hasn't already seen it!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, i think i have a short list of beans i'd like to get for future growing. wish there was more about their days to flower/harvest on these but i'm sure they will fill that info in as they find out themselves or from others growing it.
G14216
G14979J
G18732
G20049
G24057A
G25698
G26334
G26335A
G26650

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just want to clear up any misunderstandings. I never have gotten any seed from CIAT. Just found their beautiful photos, and thought it would be fun to share the beauty of these beans with you. I have just marveled at the colorfulness of a few of these varieties.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are some nice ones chickie'smoma!

I have g25695 on my list too, but there are several almost identical ones to it, so I'll select a different one :) It was almost random choosing which one, and in the interest of diverse choices I'll choose a different one. :)

I like how much g24057a looks similar but with subtle shape differences from hutterite.

I'm still making my long list which will need shortening a lot, but I did a setting to see the toasting beans, and will get some of those. I have a friend who is a gourmet chef and just sent her a message with a blog about toasting nuna beans. http://michigancottagecook.blogspot.com/2013/02/how-to-cook-nuna-beans-beans-that-pop.html
She manages for sur la tables, some places that sell high end chef supplies down in the bay area. (The neighbor "little kid down the street" who did good.) She and Rachael Ray are good friends, lol! So, I want to grow some of those toasting/popping beans. Some are quite pretty. Most of them have a white semi ring around the periphery extending from the hilum.

I also set it to search the biggest lima beans and found some super pretty whoppers.
Also found a super subtle, very small lima with opaque skin that just looks super tender and delicious. Sure looks tasty to me. Not colorful at all.

I used a variety of searches in the vulgaris and am probably 1/20th of the way through! Maybe less than that!

Some of the searches in vulgaris include setting for disease resistance. One of my many reasons to collect is to have survivor beans in case there is a calamity.

I also looked at acutofolium tepary beans. I may get one of the super small ones.
IN THOSE I HAVE NOT YET FOUND ALL THE PAIUTE TEPARIES I HAVE. I found what looks like large flat orange paiute, but mine has 2 variations in it and there's does not. And they have small copper paiute without the variations I have.

They do not have my LARGE CHOCOLATE PAIUTE, an excellent grower and producer.

I looked at some of the Xhybrid species and may get some of those as interest and as possible survivorship. Also looked at some of the runner bean coccineus. Those READILY CROSS with each other, so I might get a few very different ones and allow them to cross. Some runner beans are susceptible to crop failure from too much heat, or for "who knows why" as I read on a highly respected important seed saver's webpage, but I forget where... :p

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I noticed that Russ. CIAT does not have very many of the varieties that you have.

As an individual collector you are way ahead of them. Yet they will make for a good source to get some new beauties, for all of us.

This sure makes the easy bean network more interesting.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi AidenGrayson !

Just curious if you know of anyone in the UK that grows the bush bean "Ernie's Big Eye". I had contributed a sample to the Henry Doubleday Research Association back in the early 80's when Patrick Hughes was it's director. As you probably know today HDRA is known as Garden Organic. I wrote to them over a year ago, but they don't send seed overseas anymore they say because of national seed laws. If you come across Ernie's Big Eye let me know I would like to acquire a start of the bean again.

I had originally acquired "Ernie's Big Eye" from Wanigan Associates from Lynnfield, Massachusets about 1978. The bean originally comes from a fellow by the name of Ernest B. Dana of Etna, New Hampshire. It was the product of two beans unknown to me that was crossed by bees. I believe Mr. Dana was probably in his 60's or 70's at the time.

"Ernie's Big Eye" has a somewhat similar seedcoat pattern as Jacob's Cattle with a red area around the eye of the bean not being as extensive, and fewer but larger red spots over the remainder of the beans white area. The bean was stable and seemed to be even a bit more productive than Jacob's Cattle.

(edited for spelling)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey guys - has sumi posted on this thread??? She is in South Africa and just might be able to get some interesting varieties for yall.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Canesisters, I haven't seen a Sumi here yet.

Even though many of these beans would be very hard to get our paws on, they still make great eye candy! My list keeps changing the farther in I go.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Also looked at some of the runner bean coccineus. Those READILY CROSS with each other, so I might get a few very different ones and allow them to cross. Some runner beans are susceptible to crop failure from too much heat, or for "who knows why" as I read on a highly respected important seed saver's webpage, but I forget where... :p
Do you want some Marsh? I have plenty of Sunset runner beans here. Similar seed coat to the plain ole scarlet runner beans, but they have slightly shorter plants, and pretty shell pink flowers. If you want I can send some of those Jacob's Cattle Gold beans that I gave Bluejay a few weeks ago.

Edited to correct spelling/grammar. :p

Latest posts