Tomatoes 2021

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary , if it's Tigerella and you like it, great! I liked how it looked and produced for me.

About those yellow pears and Sun Gold splitting -- yes, Sun Gold seems to split easily. Taste is personal but after over 15 years, I gave up on it in preference for Sun Sugar. Both were in my garden all that time and I preferred the flavor of SG just not that so many were wasted. Now yellow pear -- ! Tried that for 4 years because DW liked them. The final year, every single one of them split!

I'm very happy with Yellow Jelly Beans :). Fortunately, those, the Sun Sugars, and the Sweet 100's are doing fine. Late and nothing else is doing good in the tomato patch. And yes, that includes failsafe Early Girls. One very different tomato year, this is.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Late and nothing else is doing good in the tomato patch. And yes, that includes failsafe Early Girls. One very different tomato year, this is.
A very different tomato year indeed... I wouldn't give up on a variety based solely on this year's performance. Many of my previously reliable tomatoes did poorly this year as well.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The mid-sized variety coming through for me this year is what Victory Seed calls "Old Reliable." LINK

Porter was my grandmother Pearl's tomato and I have had it over 25 years. I didn't know that it was called Old Reliable ;). Supposed to to be reliable in Texas-hot weather. Maybe so!

Victory says 80 days but I don't know why. Annie's and Tomatofest both have it as 72 and that sounds about right.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
20210830_154316.jpg

Gogosha, a large potato-leaf pink beefsteak. It has good flavor, large size, seldom cracks (but what didn't this year :rolleyes:) and very few blossom-end deformities. I know that a perfect blossom end doesn't matter for canning, but I don't like waste when slicing. ;) Fortunately I grew this at home, because it failed twice in the rural garden (and probably would have failed there again). These keep pretty well too, I'll be sharing them with my family & the neighbors.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
View attachment 43491
Gogosha, a large potato-leaf pink beefsteak. It has good flavor, large size, seldom cracks (but what didn't this year :rolleyes:) and very few blossom-end deformities. I know that a perfect blossom end doesn't matter for canning, but I don't like waste when slicing. ;) Fortunately I grew this at home, because it failed twice in the rural garden (and probably would have failed there again). These keep pretty well too, I'll be sharing them with my family & the neighbors.
Very nice looking tomatoes!

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love tomatoes from the Minusinsk Valley in Russia. Every year I grow several varieties from this region. They are all prolific and delicious. This year I had the following:

Alënka Minusinskaya. One bunch and these are not cherry tomatoes.
Alonka Minusinskaja 2.jpg

Bychye Serdtse Minusinskoye (s. Gorodok)
Byczje Sierdce Minusinskoje (s. Gorodok) 2 .jpg
Byczje Sierdce Minusinskoje (s. Gorodok) 4.jpg

Yablochniy (s. Gorodok)
Jabłocznyj (s. Gorodok) 2.jpg
Jabłocznyj (s. Gorodok) 3.jpg

Minusinskiye Bychki
Minusinskije Byczki 2.jpg

Abakanskiy Rozoviy
Abakanskij Rozowyj 1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts