Urine as a liquid fertilizer....

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
In addition to putting nitrogen into your soil, it also helps keep the critters away. They can smell it and steer clear.

Another good source of nitrogen is human hair. I collect a baggie of hair from a hairdresser friend to put around my flower beds in the spring. I just put it at soil level underneath the mulch and it composts pretty quickly. Again, critter control works well with this source as well.

"I am down with pee" -- that's going to be my motto all day tomorrow....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

Brave, brave soul!

I am seeing some of my patients in the nursing home tomorrow....I can just see the expressions on the faces if I said "I am down with pee"......... :lol:

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
The one article states:

As far as antibiotics, vitamin supplements and other medications go, yes they will end up in your urine, but in such minute quantities that I believe to be negligible especially when it is diluted.
I know that (as of back when I used to be a functioning biologist, so like pushing 10 yrs ago) they were finding significant populations of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in sewage treatment plants and downstream thereof. Presumably from being selected by continual exposure to low levels of antibiotics, which were also detected in some cases IIRC. The two main routes being proposed were from people flushing old prescriptions, and people taking the a/b's excreting them in their urine. I do not know whether it has been resolved further whether the latter mechanism is significant, but I personally would be a bit cautious about encouraging antibiotic resistance in buggies in my garden. I suppose if it is just one two-week course of antibiotics and that's it, it wouldn't be so bad.

Pat

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:lol:

I can just see it now, someone goes in for a drug test " Um, can I have that back when you're done? I need it for my garden."

:lol:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or opening the fridge and spying a jug that is marked~Do NOT Drink this apple juice! Might cure my teenagers from drinking up all my fruit juice, huh? :D One swallow from the forbidden "fruit" juice....... :p

CARS

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Where my dogs pee it is all very lush, tall and dark green!
Like I said on SS.com, where my female dogs goes the lawn is dead. It does have a greener ring around the burned spot but it doesn't make up for the 8' patch of destruction.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was wondering about that....somewhere in one of those articles I read about female dog's urine being stronger, plus they squat instead of hike, like a male. Maybe she is urinating in the same spot over and over? I've seen this for dogs who are tied or whose owners let them out in the same place each time to do the deed.

My female dog hasn't left any burned spots...but then she is free ranged, pretty much, and probably doesn't pee in the same spot twice. I don't have any yellow spots in my yard from either the female or the male.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
tend to think it is the difference in 2 dogs. One is marking territory so it goes a little everywhere. Second has developed the habit of going in the same spot. It takes a lot of urine to kill grass.

sclanimals

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My boys pee on my compost pile all the time. If I catch they peeing somewhere else they are directed back to the pile. People raise a brow when they see it but I don't care.

Latest posts