Weather Where You Are

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once we get past Tuesday, Weather Channel says lows should be 40’s. I will then plant garden for real.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My camera is my phone. My phone has my music on it. I connect my Bluetooth speaker to it and blast music while I play in garden.

Curious if anything survived this blast.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not specifically asking Steve but your weather is so different it's always interesting. I've experiences those 0.03" of rain before. Barely enough to settle the dust on a dirt road for a few hours, not enough to help plants, though in dry times I'll take every drop I can get. Part of my theory on rain is that it washes pollutants out of the air which become nutrients for plants. That's why rain seems to do more good than us watering. Just my theory.

One of my stories I don't think I've told or not on here is about "Dan Dan the severe weather man" up in Northwest Arkansas. That was my nickname for him, he loved severe weather. Some forecasts he'd have to go outside the continental US to find severe weather to talk about. Anyway, during a dry time he went on for most of his forecast as to how it was going to rain. He droned on and on about how it was going to rain. The opposite side of the viewing area from me was more likely to get it but we were going to have rain! He was so excited. At the very end he said the expected accumulation was 0.01". Kind of a let-down.

I got a brief shower this morning, glad to see it. I should get a rain gauge, I could put it on a fence where other things don't interfere with somewhat accurate measurements. Just haven't bothered. The forecast is that I might see some more rain later today and tomorrow. Tomorrow's might be "severe". Might. Looks like the worst will pass north of us again but I'll put the wife's pretty new car inside a shelter in the back yard. That's a pain in the butt but it is her baby.

I have time this morning and am in the mood so another story. Here at the mouth of the Mississippi River we get all the drainage and run-off from between the Appalachians to the Rockies, up into Canada. While we've been relatively dry the Mississippi is approaching flood stage due to all the rain some people up river have had. The Corps of Engineers has built a few spillways in certain places to protect certain areas from flooding. The Morganza Spillway protects Baton Rouge and diverts huge quantities of water down the Atchafalaya Basin. That is hugely disruptive to people farming or ranching in that Basin. It's only been opened two or three times in history. They came close last year.

The Bonnet Carre Spillway protects New Orleans and diverts water through Lake Pontchartrain to the Gulf. That's also disruptive. It carries a lot of silt so the water is muddy, that causes some problems. But the big thing is that this diverted water is fresh, the water animals living there use brackish water, somewhat salty. All that fresh water is harmful and maybe deadly to them. That effect goes well beyond Lake Pontchartrain and into the Gulf, plus the brackish water marshes along the Gulf that are the nurseries to a lot of sea life. The fresh water also carries a lot of nutrients. It can cause algae blooms which can kill sea life as the bloom drains all oxygen from the water.

Opening the Bonnet Carre Spillway is something you don't want to do. They opened it twice last year for longer periods of time than ever before. I still can't get my oyster poboys, my favorite local sandwich. The few oysters not killed by the silt, fresh water, and blooms are used for more expensive uses. The historic average is that the Bonnet Carre Spillway has been opened once every ten years. It's open right now, for the fifth time in five years. I don't like the way it is trending.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Phone...music...calculator...mini computer.
GREAT...until you drop it and need a replacement.
I still like a pocket camera. Even though mine has a problem and needs replacing.
If it breaks, I can still call you.
It’s why you invest in an excellent case. My pix are much less quality than most here take but since most of mine are for texts or posting where pixels don’t matter, I don’t care.

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Missouri!

How are you doing today?

@ChickenMomma91 ? @so lucky ? @dickiebird ?

And, where are those terrible storms headed?

Steve
I didn’t see this until the 21st but today it’s sunny skies and then thunderstorms. I planted my garlic and onions and hoping to squeeze in some cukes and zukes while the baby naps.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner it is a fact that rain has some nutrients in it filtered from the air. the rain water is often closer to neutral for many people in areas where there is alkaline soils that is a big improvement over ground water pumping (which can be adjusted for pH at a price).

back when there were a lot more stuff coming out of the coal burning power plants rainwater could also be a source of sulphur compounds. not so much any more.

weather here has been cold still. overnight lows around 24F last night. rain and snow in the forecast. not planting still. it's been too cold at night. at last, though we finally have a day coming up where we might hit 60F. so that will be probably around when i'll stick some peas in the ground. we'll see. i can keep waiting. i got projects to keep me busy for the next 30 years.

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@henless - Distant neighbors over, here in Alabama we're going on third serious storm threat in less than three weeks ourselves. Easter Sunday was bad, then last Sunday was threatening too. This evening into tomorrow your system is moving this way I believe, and we're supposed to expect severe thunderstorms, hail, and tornadoes even. Y'all be safe your way!

Just told someone the other day about Alabama's crazy weather. A few months back we had a day that was 110 degrees and my husband ended up sunburnt....in about three days from that, it was in the 30s and snow flurries. :hu