What are you eating from the garden today?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is amazing! I bought one and never used it until now. I have a lot of frozen raspberries, blackberries, elderberries and cherries in the freezer and I have got to do something, so decided if my kids will not eat berries, they will drink them. The first juice is really good. I will have to make more tomorrow or Monday. I put enough fruit in that I can make a batch of jelly and keep the rest of the juice to drink. I could just do this daily and can the juice and empty the freezer. It makes making jelly simple. I got mine from Gurneys when they had 50% off everything. http://www.gurneys.com/product/stainless_steel_steam_juicer/
Does it remove seeds etc?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is amazing! I bought one and never used it until now. I have a lot of frozen raspberries, blackberries, elderberries and cherries in the freezer and I have got to do something, so decided if my kids will not eat berries, they will drink them. The first juice is really good. I will have to make more tomorrow or Monday. I put enough fruit in that I can make a batch of jelly and keep the rest of the juice to drink. I could just do this daily and can the juice and empty the freezer. It makes making jelly simple. I got mine from Gurneys when they had 50% off everything. http://www.gurneys.com/product/stainless_steel_steam_juicer/

That sounds like something I need to have in my arsenal then. Sounds easier than the old fashioned way, wrestling with dripping bags of cheesecloth (and for what you pay for cheesecloth, wouldn't take long to pay for itself.) Gurney's is out of stock, so I'll go take a look on Amazon. I've got bags of blackberries and cherries hiding in my freezer too.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do have a berry screen that works great on my Roma strainer (similar to a Squeezo). But I get pulp from that, not juice. Wouldn't work on cherries though. I prefer my blackberry jam seedless, especially if I'm using wild blackberries. DH has requested that I add back in a few seeds though because he doesn't like the texture. o_O

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds like something I need to have in my arsenal then. Sounds easier than the old fashioned way, wrestling with dripping bags of cheesecloth (and for what you pay for cheesecloth, wouldn't take long to pay for itself.) Gurney's is out of stock, so I'll go take a look on Amazon. I've got bags of blackberries and cherries hiding in my freezer too.

They are expensive, so getting the $50 off with Gurney coupons when the catalog comes out is a neat thing. Sign up to have a catalog sent to you and for their newsletter. You are right about the cheesecloth and time and work, plus you get more juice.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits and @journey11 that sounds like something I would be interesting in too. Get those excess seeds out of the blackberries is too much work. Now the grapes are taking off. Sure would make less work.

I just put the water in the bottom pan, put on stove, put the fruit in top part, turn on the stove and wait about an hour, open the clamp fill up container with juice. I measured juice for jelly, had the jars in water bath canner all ready and hot. Made jelly and took the leftover juice and sweetened and put in ice box. Put the mushed up berries in the compost bin. If I did not want to make jelly then I would just can all the juice in quarts and have for later. I am trying to decide if I want to do that because of space. I have cost of freezer or cost of lids and time for canning all the juice, so I may just make juice every few days.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do have a berry screen that works great on my Roma strainer (similar to a Squeezo). But I get pulp from that, not juice. Wouldn't work on cherries though. I prefer my blackberry jam seedless, especially if I'm using wild blackberries. DH has requested that I add back in a few seeds though because he doesn't like the texture. o_O

We almost have war at our house with DD and DS and pitting those little sour Nanking cherries. When they were younger it was just a chore for them, but now DD has a full time job, and DS and DD really do not like pie with any type of berries. I have spent so much time pitting them too.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
They do not eat berries either. DD will eat strawberries. DS will not even eat a piece of lemon, raspberry zucchini bread. They will eat apple pie, pumpkin pie, chocolate pie. DS will not even eat strawberry ice cream! :th

Latest posts