What are you eating from the garden today?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Beets and one sweet pepper. I need to take out my camera. Do you remember the lettuce that was growing in the Chips Ahoy package? I transplanted them to a bed that has a lot of shade and they are growing!! In maybe a week I'll try to cut some for salad. I have NEVER had lettuce growing for a salad in August, before.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have had extreme heat and droughts summer. I have watered from our well to keep everything going. Why then are my tomatoes so late in ripening. I have wonderful cearry tomatoes and a large red or two every day. Very late for the tomato sauce inundation.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have had extreme heat and droughts summer. I have watered from our well to keep everything going. Why then are my tomatoes so late in ripening
The actual ripening, I think we are all impatient. Probably, it takes the same number of days each year, give or take a few. Flowering, pollination and that initial development of the fruit is probably hit or miss, every year. My ripe tomatoes are few although the plants are becoming laden with green fruit. Late spring and early summer weeks were characterized by such changeable weather, the plants were not comfortable ...

Do you remember the lettuce that was growing in the Chips Ahoy package? I transplanted them to a bed that has a lot of shade and they are growing!! In maybe a week I'll try to cut some for salad. I have NEVER had lettuce growing for a salad in August, before.
I remember the cookie bag of lettuce :). I also remember you making the recommendation to grow a fall crop of lettuce. That's common advice and must work well in many locations.

Weather here is arid. Late summer and fall days and nights have temperature swings of 30°f and more. Spring temperatures, with more moisture in the air, don't usually have that daily variation. Late season lettuce plants must be stressed and grow slowly. If conditions are "normal," I think lettuce is not locally our best choice. I'm making more of an effort in 2016 to find "potherbs" for late summer and fall. There is a packet of edible amaranth seed beside the back door, waiting to be sown this week, for example :). Hopefully, I'm not just relying on Asian greens from here on out ...
I swiped it from one of the kids plants while I was watering.
Teachers should treat students in an evenhanded manner. You should feel obligated to "sample" fruit from each student's garden ;). Think of it as a "pop" quiz and report their grade. Yeah. Celebrate!

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Strawberries...sweet and juicy! Tomatoes all coming ripe, so it's now tomato canning season...but, first, the eating of the maters! My grandma used to like to smear mayonnaise on a big ol' slice of tomato, then sprinkle salt and pepper, eat it with a fork. My dad used to do that too. Will gorge on those this evening, along with some sweet corn.

Corn is sure ripening...will have a BBQ out here Wed. and boil up/grill that sweet corn, BBQ some young cockerels (FREE meat out of the locals...LOVE it when folks can't kill their own chickens!), grill some squash, new red spuds, and maters. Have family over to enjoy the fruits of our labors.

Some times your food is also a work of art. Purple climbing beans-so easy to see to pick.View attachment 15328

I agree with digits....that pic should be in the POW! VERY beautiful composition.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Strawberries this time of year? What variety?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some kind of everbearing strawberry, two different kinds. One has white blossoms and the other has fuschia blossoms...couple of rows of each and they've been bearing since June.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hardly have time to do anything but blanch, freeze, chop, cut, cook. I have the dehydrator full of raspberries, trying to make room in the freezer. I used the juicer on some small beets I picked today with blackberries and an apple. I also made soup. From the garden it had potatoes, yellow squash, zucchini squash, dehydrated basil, tomatoes, green beans, onions and garlic. Everybody liked it, which DS liking it kind of shocked me. I got the recipe here .https://www.pinterest.com/pin/429249408217024776/

Last edited:

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fermented dill pickles.JPG

Latest posts