What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug , you are right. The first couple of these ornamental plants grew early in fickle weather and then flowered. Offspring grew during summer heat. Bok choy plants growing nearby have lately been plagued by slugs. They have left the amaranth alone. The Asian varieties that I have grown have been trouble-free too but just such tiny things.

Frost is on its way to my gardens and it may be over several days and difficult/impossible for me to fend off. Today, I harvested green tomatoes.

You know @ducks4you , the ancestors of the tomato live in the wild in what has been described as "one of the driest places on Earth." I am still trying to figure out the wants and needs of modern tomato cultivars, however, I imagine that they were not very happy with all the rain the MidWest experienced in 2019

My New Yorker tomato plants were all finished ripening their fruit by this time last year. As determinate plants, they were spent! In 2019, very few of the many fruit has crept past green. I picked several this morning. An early variety but they just aren't gonna make it! Well, :rainbowflower liked fried green tomatoes. Oh, yeah!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Snow Peas! Okay, they are very few but we got 'em.

Sown just about August 1st ... it seems that I was a little late with something but that might have been the late planting of green beans (should be no later than 15 July for me) - they came through because there was no early September frost. Had some more of those green beans, last night.

The pea planting was a little goofy because they followed the early potatoes and the early peas. Today's lunch was a little goofy, too: sushi (from the deli), scrambled eggs and snow peas.

:) Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I

This year, One Plant! It has its own pole and the seed is maturing well - for next year's crop.

Steve

That’s just WEIRD! LOL. I also have ONE rattlesnake bean plant come up from last year on it's own pole. I thought I dropped a seed when planting Cobra beans, which is all I planted this year, but when the beans came they were rattlesnake and I planted them last year, so I put up a pole, and it was not tall enough, so I tied a string over to the fence with tomatoes and it crawled across and went to the fence. Picked a few beans several times a week off of the plant. I was going to take a picture, but for some reason the leaves were just being chewed up, still growing but looked awful. I think grasshoppers.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a big pot of beef vegetable soup simmering with. tomato, onion, potato and green beans from our garden. Ran out of corn so had to buy some frozen.

My mother made that all the time and called it "Mama Bear Soup." Was that a real recipe or she just made the name up? I still make it. I try to make things we had as kids on the days DB comes over.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother made that all the time and called it "Mama Bear Soup." Was that a real recipe or she just made the name up? I still make it. I try to make things we had as kids on the days DB comes over.

we never had a name for it besides beef vegetable soup. yum! one of our favorites that Mom makes a few times during the colder months.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
some of the squash were starting to get some mold on them so last night i roasted up those that were iffy. they need to age some more yet to be properly edible, but they were ok. or at least the one that i ate... :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Harvested all of the "bush" buttercup today; a vole had begun to chew on two of them, so I wasn't going to wait for more damage. There were 8 plants, trained within a 30' X 6' strip... and transplanted over the July 4th weekend. The short DTM was as advertised. I won my battle with the SVB, and it payed off.
20191009_164900.jpg

Found a few more squashes which had been damaged by SVB larvae (one is visible in the top box) but they are mostly sound, so we'll just cut out the damage & eat those first. I had hoped to peel & dehydrate many of those, but I peeled one for DW to make Pinakbet soup last Sunday, and that shell was HARD... so it looks like most of those will be scooped out & baked in the shell. Small as they are, I will have to use a rubber mallet & my largest knife to cut them open.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Harvested all of the "bush" buttercup today; a vole had begun to chew on two of them, so I wasn't going to wait for more damage. There were 8 plants, trained within a 30' X 6' strip... and transplanted over the July 4th weekend. The short DTM was as advertised. I won my battle with the SVB, and it payed off.
View attachment 33247

Found a few more squashes which had been damaged by SVB larvae (one is visible in the top box) but they are mostly sound, so we'll just cut out the damage & eat those first. I had hoped to peel & dehydrate many of those, but I peeled one for DW to make Pinakbet soup last Sunday, and that shell was HARD... so it looks like most of those will be scooped out & baked in the shell. Small as they are, I will have to use a rubber mallet & my largest knife to cut them open.

Looks like something a froe would come in handy for. :)

Latest posts