What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am planting Fall bulbs that never made it into the ground last Fall. I only lost one package, and that was because i stored it outside in a plastic shopping bag and the bulbs rotted. The ones that were stored in the dark barn were sprouting. I learn a LOT the hard way, but I'll be enjoying some flowers early this year! I'll take pictures for you. :D
If your ground is digable they will do great.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put 8 milk cartons outside for winter sowing with flowers, several kinds of marigolds, hollyhocks, coneflowers, daisies, and Grandpa Ott morning glories. I started more tomatoes, more oregano and more onions and they are in the kitchen greenhouse. I also have a little experiment going of tomato seeds. I have brand new 2016 Rutgers and 1997 Rutgers. If the old seed sprouts, I want to see how it produces compared to the new seed.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
That will be an interesting experiment, GWR. Keep us updated, please.
My old boss used to talk about "vigor" in seed viability. He said old corn seed may have good germination but poor vigor, when the plant is growing. Maybe he was just talking about the first few days.....? Because once the plant starts taking up nutrients, would it matter if it had new seed vigor?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put 8 milk cartons outside for winter sowing with flowers, several kinds of marigolds, hollyhocks, coneflowers, daisies, and Grandpa Ott morning glories. I started more tomatoes, more oregano and more onions and they are in the kitchen greenhouse. I also have a little experiment going of tomato seeds. I have brand new 2016 Rutgers and 1997 Rutgers. If the old seed sprouts, I want to see how it produces compared to the new seed.
Very interesting. The first year I planted yellow tomatoes they were the sweetest tomatoes I have ever eaten. The same varieties the next few years seem very tart, and hard. I may not even plant them this year. I guess it can be the weather differences to blame.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last week, I planted seed :).

Most of it in flats in the greenhouse. It will have to be covered in there. There will be no turning on the heater for a little more than a month. The onion seed should be okay. There are 7 varieties: Walla Walla, Candy, SV(something), Red Devil, Fukugawa, Tokyo White, and Lillia.

One sprinkle of seed went in a berry box and came in to sit in the kitchen warmth. The seed is Oasis Rosemary. I hope it works out okay. I've never grown rosemary from seed nor known of a named variety from seed.

Steve

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I sowed Lycopersicon pimpinellifolium first time. I was told that they sprout long, but they went for 2 days. I already went peppers and pansies (viola) for early flowering. Soon I will sow lobelia.
мечт.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your Lycopersicon pimpinellifolium look a lot like a variety of tomato I grew the last two years called "Spoon" because so many could fit in a spoon. I hope you like them. Popping currant tomatoes is so much healthier than popping candies.

Latest posts