What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Suspicion of the Magpie activity in the garden was one reason to begin using starts instead of seed. With your Starlings ...

Anyway, I have come to wonder if Benjamin Bunny likes sprouts.

Maggie Pied and Benjamin are frequent visitors. Benjamin is gonna have to venture waay out into the open to get his favorite veggie in 2016. If he is out there munching on broccoli this year, he just might be a sitting duck for Wiley or Hedwig ..!

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted squash and cucumbers. DS and I put up a fence for the cucumbers. The squash have a string tied to posts with white bags tied to it. So far it has been working for the peppers. The wind catches them and they go zipping down the string. Have a black plastic sack out there next to some tall flowers where my cat might normally lay. I put some old hay in the sack. It does not look like a cat, but who knows.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The trick is to move the 'cat' from time to time. When I had the scarecrow in the new orchard I moved it at least twice a day and had no problems with birds at all.

The sweet cherry tree is so tall that nearsighted birds wouldn't even know he was there so it didn't work in the old orchard.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Put the cat, here and there.
  • Under the rhubarb leaves
  • Behind a stack of boards
  • In a cardboard box
  • etc.
Keep her on the move, slightly hidden and keep those birds off-balance! They may even lose their nerve and stop pestering your real cat.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Put the cat, here and there.
  • Under the rhubarb leaves
  • Behind a stack of boards
  • In a cardboard box
  • etc.
Keep her on the move, slightly hidden and keep those birds off-balance! They may even lose their nerve and stop pestering your real cat.

Steve

The nest is empty this morning, so the fledglings are on the loose. This will be interesting.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
All quiet outside for now. I planted basil and 6 more tomato plants. DS is getting ready to put the poles up for the pole beans. We remeasured and the swing frame will not fit there, so in a way, I dug up the asparagus for nothing, but it was such a mess.

Latest posts