What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I potted up 3 sweet potato slips and I will let them get good roots on the porch before putting them into the ground. I have their spots scoped out. I planted Indian corn in a mini greenhouse. Lost the lid somewhere, so I watered and then bagged with a clear, plastic garbage bag. One is up, and I'll give the rest a good week. If not, I'll buy new seeds. I don't plan to harvest until the Fall, and just for ornamentation. They will fill in a weed prone area and I will heavily "Preen" around them.
I got 10 more Mortgage Lifter tomatoes in the second tomato bed. I used my post hole auger and went down about 12-14 inches. I put some dried horse manure at the bottom of each of the 10 holes, then took each of the leggy--some of them 24 inches tall!--baby tomatoes out of their porch pots. Most were going on pot bound, but a few had less than optimal roots, long and a little spindly, deSPITE the soil and daily watering. Still, ALL look great this morning. I plan to backfill where the soil has sunk. I understand that you WANT this to happen, so that roots make contact with soil and bacteria and then the plants can exchange nitrogen. The bed borders are about 8 inches tall, and I will fill in with compost to the top for maximum root growth.
I have thought a great deal about the recent advice to dig a trench and then plan your tomatoes, the idea of which is to root the stem. I say that this results in a larger water bill! Everybody plants their vegetables like the pictures in magazines where there is an 18 inch desert between tomato plants. This area between them dries out first and the first few inches of your bed have to be constantly watered. I haven't watered the tomatoes that I put in 2 weeks ago, after their initial soaking. They, too had deep holes. Just MHO. :old

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yesterday I put three sweet peppers in the ground. One, I bought, and the other two I had bought a few months ago, forgot about, Nearly killed, nursed back to health--2 months later, in the ground. I also replaced the leggy tomato that snapped with my one extra. ALL beefsteak/eating tomatoes in the ground!!!
The Indian corn, in it's indoor cell package on the porch have sprouted 3. :barnie
VERY IMPATIENT!!!!! But, I'll wait a few days before I replant the seeds. They are only for decoration, so harvest time doesn't much matter.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not, entirely trusting the cucumbers struggling through a very difficult month of variable weather, started more plants to set out in a couple of weeks.

I've had bad cucumber seasons when only one or two fruits were produced on each vine. This might be one of those years for the early planted cukes.

Too late to recruit more melons but should put some summer squash seeds in the soil, soon. They are fine but one never knows about powdery mildew.

Oh, and some smaller sunflower varieties started. I'm anticipating no early frost this year ;).

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not, entirely trusting the cucumbers struggling through a very difficult month of variable weather, started more plants to set out in a couple of weeks.

I've had bad cucumber seasons when only one or two fruits were produced on each vine. This might be one of those years for the early planted cukes.

Too late to recruit more melons but should put some summer squash seeds in the soil, soon. They are fine but one never knows about powdery mildew.

Oh, and some smaller sunflower varieties started. I'm anticipating no early frost this year ;).

Steve

My cucumbers have flowers and doing well, but I think my weather was somewhat better than yours. You seemed to talk a lot about wind, but I never trust my cucumbers. Last year was a bad year, but I planted them in a bad place, but I am going to plant a few more tomorrow.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The second plantings of the warm-season crops are in the garden and doing well. Despite a cooler than normal early weeks of the month, it has trended to more normal now.

The bush beans are up nicely from the July 14th sowing.

Snow peas for the cool-season fall plantings have soil to go in this week. Snap peas worked fine in 2015 so, I'll get some of that seed in also. Soon, bok choy and other Asian greens sowings. All for the late season, fall and greenhouse.

:) Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was so hot today, one of my Rhode Island Reds was walking about with her wings spread and her mouth open. She definitely looked unhappy with the temperature-humidity combination.

Either that or she worked up a "chicken sweat" jumping up under my blueberry bushes out front. Now that she's found the berries I have a hard time keeping her away.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Snow peas for the cool-season fall plantings have soil to go in this week. Snap peas worked fine in 2015 so, I'll get some of that seed in also. Soon, bok choy and other Asian greens sowings. All for the late season, fall and greenhouse.

:) Steve

I never did get beans or anything else planted. Still not too late for snap peas? I bought some, but was not sure. I have room to plant. I will plant some lettuce, lettuce, mustard. I am not sure what else I have. What about carrots?

Latest posts