What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never did get beans or anything else planted. Still not too late for snap peas? I bought some, but was not sure. I have room to plant. I will plant some lettuce, lettuce, mustard. I am not sure what else I have. What about carrots?

My garden calendar says July 19th last planting on the peas, so I'm going to stick some out here today a wee bit late, zone 6b. They are very frost tolerant.

Carrots will be fine. Same date for them too. You probably get your frost a couple weeks before mine. They might not get huge, but you should get something out of them. They can over winter if you bury them in straw too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
GWR,

This might hedge your bet on carrot seed sprouting in July: LINK

I've picked snow peas covered with October frost. Their growth does slow and pods toughen with cold weather, tho.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
GWR,

This might hedge your bet on carrot seed sprouting in July: LINK

I've picked snow peas covered with October frost. Their growth does slow and pods toughen with cold weather, tho.

Steve

I never heard of pelleted seed. I am going to go out and pick a spot of the carrots and try the gel. I did find a way to sprout carrots that works sometimes or I get lots to sprout and tiny carrots. I get the ground ready and almost sprinkle the seed on the ground, just barely put any dirt on top and then cover lightly with straw and I water with a sprinkler.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a good question.

I'm planning on soon sowing the edible amaranth, red orach, and the Verda de Taglio chard seed I received from Mary. This will be something new for me. They are related to spinach. Spinach can be overwintered.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/v-16-pelleted-seeds.aspx

Steve

How late can you wait for the chard? Also, bok-choy, should these be seedlings or can you direct seed?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will direct-sow the bok choy 3 or 4 times over the next 4 weeks, GWR.

The chard is for transplants to go in the winter greenhouse. I'm winging it!

I'll give it another 2 weeks before putting seed in the ground.

Steve

Latest posts