What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Buff Shallots said:
Today I planted: my feet under my desk at work. I am staring out the office window and dreaming of April when the first crocus will make an appearance.
I'm with you! Northern MN sucks, spring isnt till like, mid-May! We had 50'2 2 weeks ago, ran around in flip flops, then it snowed 4 inches!!!
I have Peppers, 2 types of Tomatoes, Brussels Sprouts, Artichokes, chives, Sage, Basil...those are growing in my living room and need to be repotted like, 3 days ago! Have to start all of those indoors when you live in the Frozen North!

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
homesteadmom said:
vfem said:
Ut Oh.... my friend Stef had the same issue. Squirrels got most of her seedlings that came up. :(

I suggest a little fence and BB gun!
We have a fence but it needs some repair work & expansion done. When I told dh they were eatting on his corn seedlings he said we need to fix the fence asap!(figures). I did find a few more seedlings popping up yesterday morning(we will see if they are still there today) so not quite as much to replant. I really need this garden this yr as dh will be losing money as he has to take a one day a pay period furlough starting in July & what he will lose is our grocery budget. So I need all the produce we can grow ourselves now.
Yeah I'm preparing for the worst this year too. I know my neighbors have been laid off so I've been sharing eggs so far... I will get them spinach and lettuce soon... over the summer I'll share what cucumbers and tomatoes I can as well. I don't think we can lose our crops to pests this year.

My husband was laid off last year for 2 1/2 months and thank goodness got a great job with a booming company since (a week before christmas). You just never can know how that will go. So I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch in this economy.

I would really try to cover some of your seedlings with a sheet or plastic for part of the day when you are not around. I'd hate to see all that work get destroyed so quickly. :(
I can't cover with plastic as it is already getting too hot in the afternoon that I would probobly burn them up then. I just really need dh to get in gear & help me get the fence done. Although last night he had to go rescue ds#1 at the lake who had boat trailer problems & did not get home until 12:30am. The bigger plants they leave alone it is just as the seeds start emerging they attack. :th I am thinking it is the rabbits mainly as there is a part of the fence missing. Maybe I should have ds#1 come sit out there with his little pellet gun & he can take the meat home in return for his payment! I'll win this battle just wait & see.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pam how about a chicken wire fence around what ever plants are being eaten until the larger fence can be repaired... or maybe floating row covers...it will let air and light and water in but keep out the pests...

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
All good ideas, but my garden is so big & everything is everywhere that is getting eatten. I really appreciate the ideas & help but we just need to get our fence done asap. BTW it is a fence made of chicken wire & helps to keep the rabbits out pretty good. But the prarie dogs can climb it. If they are going to be a big problem we will have to start enclosing the entire garden top to bottom with a finer mesh wire they can't squeeze thru or climb up(well even if they could there would be mesh wire up there too!!). Come to think of it that would keep the birds out of it too!! Maybe I am on to something here. This would be something we could replace a side a yr with until it is all done & not cost an arm & a leg to do all at once then. Have to talk to dh about this idea too!! See you made me think & I came up with a brillant idea if I do say so myself. Of course it would have to be about 7 ft tall. And it would take a few yrs to finsih a top for it too, but thats okay I am willing to do that as each yr my garden would get safer & safer from pests & critters.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Arent there plants you could put around the perimeter to ward off the invaders? Arent Marigolds (in all their foul smelling glory) supposed to keep rodents away?

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That's a thought I didn't think of. Maybe I can go get some of those. I wonder how close together to plant them for maximum benefit. My zukes & yellow squash that was up yesterday is gone today. Thanks!

Granmahen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Most of my veggie plot is planted and producing. I've got arugula, chard and sugar snap peas ready for use. Tomato transplants (cherry, roma, big boy, celebrity) in the ground along with zucchini, eggplant and cucumbers. Pole beans, bush beans, carrots, beets, and radishes are poking their heads up. Still have to buy peppers. And I'm always willing to find room for leftover transplants from others. Flower beds are abloom with roses, irises, jasmine and lantana. Just planted annuals to fill in. As for pests, I just have to worry about snails, aphids, my dog laying on things and chickens and bunnies getting too greedy. Should be a beautiful Easter.:rainbow-sun

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
going to plant barley and a few spring crops this week, i'm really excited about the Barley.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted radishes, spinach and several lettuces today. Even if it snows in a few days, they are hardy varieties and the seed won't rot.

My winter onions are a usable size now. I love how they come back each year.

Latest posts