What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
karanleaf said:
setter4 said:
karanleaf said:
DH & I built our small PVC Fence garden :clap And I have it planted with radish & Spinach, that I got from the seed swap and some Mizuna Oriental greens :watering
Tomorrow I will start our squash (in the greenhouse of course) it is suppose to snow :tongue
:happy_flower Karan :D
My step-son just sent me some seeds and one of them was the Mizuna greens. What are they like> I have never tried them...
:watering me neither be my 1st time to grow them
check this link out just found it pretty cool
a Cook's thesaurus
http://www.foodsubs.com/Greensld.html

Today so far I have started acorn and butternut squash, cauliflower, and sweet banana and Italian peppers. :thumbsup

Hmmm...I am not a huge arugula fan. I guess we'll wait and see....

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Finally!!! I got to plant something :weee I put some onion sets in. My seed potatoes came in today so it was a really good day. :rainbow-sun

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... what a gorgeous dry day... with very little wind. I didn't know what to do with myself!

I finally took a bunch of my plants out to harden off... cantelope, cucumbers, tomatoes (all the cherry ones I had left), my bellflowers, a few cone flowers, even my lotus (whats left of those) are now all outside in the sun.

I did manage to plant some of the ones I had already hardened off. So I got foxglove in, purple coneflower, yellow coneflower, blanket flower, and columbine. I threw in some more onion seeds and larkspur seeds as well.

I also cut up my fingers making welded wire fence trellises for the cantelope and cucumbers.

I am pooped!!!!

:tongue

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got some cabbage plants and onion sets in the raised bed. Then transplanted a lot of cabbage into 6 packs. :celebrate Sure hope it rains tomorrow or I'll have to water. :watering Oh Well such is the hard life playing in the dirt :tools :ya :weee :thumbsup

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm going to be sowing sweetcorn, courgettes, cucumbers to start off inside on my deep window sills. In my 3 raised beds I already have 7" high broad beans & 3" early peas, rocket & pink garlic that is just breaking through. I've also sown runner,French & Italian climbing beans. Two days ago I sowed peppers & five varieties of tomatoes. I am trying ones I've never grown before, some of them are short-season ones, (our summers can be very cool & wet, like last year). After such a cold winter I'm hoping for heat this year.....Hmmm!! SO FAR-SO GOOD! :fl I have my 3 raised beds covered with corrugated clear plastic sheets or glass. I intend to end up with 8 beds with a sitting area in the middle. I try to grow the veggies in a decorative way. At the end of the year I hope to build a picket fence round the area. I need to put in more salad mixtures -- I grow these quick crops between the rows of the taller plants -- this keeps down the weeds & acts as a mulch too. I must put beets, celeriac, mange-tout peas & carrots in this weekend once I have assembed two more beds. I use a system called Link-a-Bord -- the side walls are made of double-walled rigid black plastic & are light weight (good for old biddies like me) & easy to erect. It's the filling of them that's tough on my old back. :old Still, I do have 2 big containers of two year old compost to mix with my soil. The weather here is a bit dull & grey this morning so I will do my other chores first :thumbsup I WISH YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY EASTER and good gardening weather. :coolsun :bee :rose Hattie :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh! I forgot to tell you that yesterday I got a nice surprise -- the postman left me a parcel on my doorstep. It contained 10 beautfully packed little plug-plants of a lovely fuchsia called "Black Beauty" -- it's a trailing type, so will look great in hanging baskets. It is not hardy here in the UK so I will have to cosset them indoors until it warms up in late May or so. I will put each one in it's own pot today & start feeding them. :watering :rose Hattie :rose

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its raining... its going to be raining for the next 3 days. So what did I do?! I stopped at home depot to pick up a tomato plant since all my slicing sized tomatoes died. I got a lovely pink brandywine, an heirloom so I can save the seeds.

Did I stop there?! OH NO.... I've lost several plants or haven't managed to find what I need, so I tried to get everything I could while I was there to fill that order. I got Oregano, Thai Basil and sweet basil... got some Thyme, an eggplant and a few of these pretty purple flowers that say they bloom from spring until the first hard frost. They were called something 'Innocence'. Kinda looked like violets mixed with snap dragons. They're annuals so I planted them inbetween some of my tiny perennials I started from seed. They should fill in nicely until the perennials really start to fill in.

It was nice to intertwine the basil between all my tomato cages. I read they really inhance the flavor so we'll see.

I'm going to split up that oregano in the summer from its pot to mix in with the corn and cucumbers since it is said to help with beetle problems.

And... I did this all out in the rain!!! LOL

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Planted three more tomatoes "Mr. Stripey"

So now I have

12 Early Girl
24 Better Boy
6 Cherry
12 Beefsteak
12 Cherokee Purple
11 Brandywine
2 Green Grape
6 Black Krim
3 Mr. Stripey

88 tomato plants so far!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mitzuna is a great plant, useful both as a salad plant while small & cooked when larger. I usually sow it in late summer as greens for fall & winter -- it seems to last through our (usually mild) winters. I put a floating fleece cover over it along with the other oriental greens which like cool weather. I wouldn't grow it in the summer as I think it might bolt & also there is such a variety of other saladings to grow then. It's good to have a change with the seasons! In the UK we have a great gardener called JOY LARKCOM who has written the most wonderful books on vegetable growing. One of my favourites is her "ORIENTAL VEGETABLES": Complete guide for the Gardening Cook. This contains recipes too. She went with her husband & children for an long stay in China, touring around to find out about all the different veggies, their varied names & how to cook them. She bought the seeds back to the UK & had her own nursery for years selling plants& seeds; She is now retired but you can still buy all her books through Amazon. If you can find them I really think you will love them. She used to do a lot of lecture tours when she was younger & went to the US a few times.

:rose Hattie :rose

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you Hattie,
I had wondered if I would be able to cook the Mitzuna as well as use it in salad mix. The book sounds wonderful too . :clap I will have to look it up. :caf This is my first at growing Mitzuna, so I am excited about it . What other type of vegtables do you plant for your garden? Nothing like putting the seed in the dirt then harvesting the produce and fixing for the dinner table. :ya

I just Love :love :watering Playing in the dirt :weee