What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember if it is always this windy in April here. Unfortunately, my memory is shot. I can barely remember what I had for lunch. (Did I eat lunch?)
It has been so cold and windy that it is downright unpleasant to be outside. And, as I whined about in a previous post, my topsoil and mulch blows away if I disturb it at all.
I put the cabbage out earlier in the week, and covered the whole bed with Agribon, in an attempt to keep the white moths off it. When the wind settles a bit this evening, I need to go out and see if they are still alive, and give the little plants a drink.
It is supposed to freeze tonight. Good thing I am behind on getting tender plants out!

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I plan to start the tomatoes today (indoors). It appears the frost is out of the ground now, but it is too muddy to think about tilling, even in our sandy soil. I hope to be able to plant peas on April 19th.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
  • Onions and some started beets on Monday. It was the longest day in the garden this year ...
  • Leeks, bok choy, Italian & Scotch kale - yesterday afternoon.
The onions and leeks are tiny things. Actually, the beets were, too. I've never transplanted beets, not even moving them when they come up and are crowded. My technique there is to wait until I've got a colander-full of baby beets and take those home for the kitchen ..!

The beets sprouted and had second leaves quickly. Perhaps, one might wonder about going to the bother of having tiny onions and leeks around for months before setting out. They really aren't much bother. The flats are covered when there is a chance that the soil may freeze and they are kept watered. As soon as the heat was turned on and long before there was any need for room, they went from the heated greenhouse to the unheated hoop house. With warm weather, they went outside in a protected area, protected again from freezing.

Out in the garden now, they certainly have a chance of freezing but the onion and leek transplants are joining onions just emerging from purchased sets. One of these days, I will sow seed and have my own sets for storing and growing the following year. As it is, I feel like I'm cheating with onion sets ...

;) Steve

Ray

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
OK the time I have been waiting for is almost here Ms bunny has been working really hard for me making all the poo her pore behind can handle and I have burnt so much tree trash that now everything and everyone has a fine layer of smoke clinging to them so now all of my small pots are full of soil and now all I got to do is get the money up to get my tomatoes and peppers ya ho!!!

Ray

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes ma'am where I am there is only 2 inches of top soil in the whole yard on top of lime rock and oak trees all around that has killed all the grass from to much shade so this year I'm going with containers of all kinds but I'm thinking up of a design for a mobile raised bed type of planter if I can get my hands on the stuff I need I think it wheel come out looking very nice

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you able to make raised beds and trim or take out some of those oak trees to give you more sun? Raised beds would be easier than containers since they won't dry out so fast. What zone/state are you in?

Mary

Ray

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
State:Alabama as the oaks go I can't cutt them down due to to many houses being to close or there in the next yard as for the ones in our yard we have been trying to get a tree cutting company to come out to at least trim them back but no one has been willing to attempt it and getting the people next door to cut there's is like pulling teeth the main tree that needs to go is growing into the home but because they know that tree is killing our yard they refuse to cut it down or trim it but I am going to make me a bed it's just a matter of time before I fine everything I need to do it with