What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Only reason I plant about 15 jalepanos is bc I have 2 friends who like to eat them raw. Otherwise, I dehydrate and stick them in labelled canning jars for chili.
What, all those plants, and no jalapeno poppers??? :drool

In the past, I've grown a lot of hot peppers just to share with the pepper-heads at work. Then too, the by-product of growing a lot of peppers for seed was... a lot of peppers, which I also took in to share. Not sure who I'll share with this year, or if sharing will even be possible. :fl I always dehydrate some of the hot peppers, maybe I'll be freezing more sweet peppers this year.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I like that, "pepper heads."
I have to take dehydrated peppers and pulverize them in a baggies to use in chili.
I Hate my mouth to burn. Even if the food is too hot, I'd rather eat it lukewarm.
Same with spicy.
I feed dumb...are they fully ripe when red? I harvest most of them green.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like that, "pepper heads."
I have to take dehydrated peppers and pulverize them in a baggies to use in chili.
I Hate my mouth to burn. Even if the food is too hot, I'd rather eat it lukewarm.
Same with spicy.
I feed dumb...are they fully ripe when red? I harvest most of them green.

it varies by variety as to when they are ready/fully done/at the desired level of whatever it might be... :)

like the green sweet peppers, some are best eaten when they are just filled out, crispy, heavy, yum. in some cases you let them go longer and they'll turn into a red pepper or some other color. sometimes they even taste really good that ways too. other times they're kinda meh... not worth eating IMO.

i much prefer a good red pepper over a green pepper, even if there is no added heat, i love to cut them into wide strips and roast them in the oven until they just start getting some black on the edges and then when they come out of the oven i pack them into hot jars and put a lid on them and then after they've cooled off they can be frozen. keep well like that in the freezer for years. i'm just now finishing off the last of the ones i did a few summers ago. they're so sweet they are like candy. some people will peel off the skins after roasting but i don't mind the extra fiber. :)

i also 2nd the suggestion of making poppers. those are very addictive and can still be good even with jalapenos that don't have much heat to them. i try to keep my chili head level to between nothing and sriracha sauce as that is good enough for me to give me some zing. i go between phases where i want some heat on things and when i won't have any at all for a few days in row so i don't lose my tolerance, but i don't need a lot more heat to get the same effect. i nice gentle burn. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted out some old bush beans seed, 2 different lettuces and radishes. Radishes don’t do well in my sand. Out of 20-30 plants lucky to get 5-6 worth eating. 2 things all people-but me-can grow are radishes and zucchini.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I planted 10 more potatoes yesterday. Bed is full with 40 potatoes in the ground. I will be adding something else to the bed, just haven't decided yet. I Did plant the 4 surviving Brussels Sprouts in this bed bc the all want to make sprouts. After I harvest in July/August, This will be my fall Brussels Sprouts bed, full sun, south facing, south side of the garage.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I created some mini raised beds to plant brussels sprouts in out of some plastic drums. There is cardboard under the rings and plastic mesh feed bags around them to TRY and keep the weeds down. I seeded spinach pretty thickly around the edge of the rings in hopes of getting a little bit of baby sprouts before it gets too hot.
Eva was grazing in the yard and when I moved the tray with the b.sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower into the yard she somehow snuck over while I was putting my gloves back on and made salad out of them!!! I planted them anyway and most seem to be surviving. The Brocc and cauli went into the strawberry beds... which have also been heavily grazed.
… guess who is NOT allowed back in the yard.
b.sprouts 4.5.20.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn , you can grow so many radishes in a small space, you might want to just grow them in compost or imported soil. Zucchini? If the vineborer doesn't care for the vining summer squash, maybe just try that one that @catjac1975 grows. Even the edible gourds remind me of zucchini.

Here I am with suggestions on two veggies that I don't care much for 😄. You can ignore me ;). Howsomeever , I'm looking forward to my daikon radish especially for greens this year ;) and will get some of that seed in the soil, today.

Jalapeñoes, I really like (uppotted a good number of those, yesterday). I'd have very few fruits that would reach maturity and turn red, @ducks4you . I do pay attention to them while green. Too young and they lack sweetness and yet, I'd prefer to harvest them before they lose their smooth skin. Shiny, I'd prefer to wait. Just before the skin develops that checking. Gardening gives us opportunities like these :).

Steve

Latest posts