What Did You Do In The Garden?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Started the germination testing for all of the older soybeans today, to determine in advance how many will need TLC / rescue protocols. My soybean grow list will be finalized after I know which are most in need of attention. I'll start at least 16 cells of any which are direct seeded, as backups.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
So far, 3 rows of sweet corn, 2-green beans, edible pod peas, tomatoes, peppers-once again way too many-, cabbage, beets, spinach, leaf lettuce, & radishes. 2 small test strips of parsnips.

Peas are almost up but beans are slow....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, set out tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers, most of the squash, and about half of the melons and watered just about everything with a sprinkler can. There was a problem on the water district end of the pipe. This morning, it was raining! Carried more water out but then, the water district workers showed up and fixed things!!

Set out peppers.

Turned the water on, turned it off and spent about an hour fiddling with pipes and sprinklers. Back on and gave it a half-watering.

Oh, and there was some grass mowing before testing the water district work.

It's always a surprise to look around and realize that the garden has been nearly filled with transplants. There was some direct seeding and there will be succession, with one thing following another.

The garden always appears a little silly at this stage, as gardens go -- because things like the vining plants are so tiny but have been given so much room. Many garden plants, from a certain angle, might look like weeds re-invading tilled ground. It's wonderful that it is nice and wet! (Also wonderful that you have to be really, really close to see the multitude of weeds that have shown up in the last few days ;).)

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The garden season is finally getting busy. I tilled both home gardens again today; still a bit muddy, to judge by how heavy my boots became (and how much time spent cleaning the tiller). The multiple tilling passes not only dig deeper each time, they are part of the drying process, and promote rapid decomposition of all the leaves turned under. No rain expected until Friday, so I plan to turn over the rural plot tomorrow. Hopefully spread some wood ashes & soil sulfur there too, as part of its restoration.

Set up & leveled the greenhouse tables, in preparation for re-potting & moving the tomatoes tomorrow.

My Moringa seeds arrived today, a couple weeks later than usual... I hadn't planned to grow Moringa until DD expressed an interest on Sunday. Fortunately the seeds arrived in one day (!!!) so I planted 36 cells, and will put them under lights on a long cycle to hopefully catch up.

Finished the lawn today too, weed whacked all the nooks & edges. Shouldn't have any trouble falling asleep tonight. :th

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Friday was setting out day for some lettuce and then the first full watering of the big veggie garden.

Back again yesterday to rototill paths. I think that gives you an idea of what it's like to garden in this valley gravel ;). Water on so much gravel ... fortunately, the wind blew some soil in after the glaciers finished altering the landscape.

Only some extra squash and melon seedlings left to go in and second plantings of sweetcorn and beans :).

Steve

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Using a hair dryer in lieu of a fan to strengthen the stems of peppers and tomatoes-- what a creative idea. I will have to try that. By the way, which variety of pepper is the stocky cultivar in the photo on the top left?

And like you Zeedman some of my plant are ending up all in a knot. This will be the week for me to do some serious bumping up, and perhaps even planting out a few seedlings to the garden.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was hoping to have all the onions planted today but did not make it. i spent some time weeding and then transplanted some creeping thyme so it would help protect a ridge from rains and being overtopped if we get really heavy downpours. i really love how this plant is working out for these purposes of edging a garden and being used to protect some terrace edges. it's also just now starting to flower. i've not watered it much at all (i don't think it likes to be too wet), but i should give it more of a better shot tomorrow when i finish up with the onion plantings out there.

i also hope that the deer don't trample too many of the onions but i do expect some losses in an unfenced garden.