What do you buy starts of?

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
If there's basil 'African Blue', I will get that and take lots of cuttings. It's very ornamental and tough. If the sweet potatoes don't slip in time, I'll have to buy those. I have enthusiastic, or delusional, plans for seed starts this year. Lots of things follow me home.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have commented on my first tomatoes and probably made too big of a deal out of them each year. I can really stunt the plants by starting them when they will receive too little light, allowing them to become rootbound, and become little wizened things with a half dozen ripening cherry tomatoes in late June. I'm talking especially about Sungold.

I'm sure I never do exactly what is best for them but I try to give them a better start than that. The 15th or 20th of July is about what I have been noting on TEG for the golden cherries.

I have read that Dark Opal is an African basil. Maybe I should be trying to clear up the image of those plants. You know how opals are variable in their clarity and color. We should just drop the "Dark" from the name. They are variable and I like that quality in a planting of annual ornamentals!

Opal basil is supposed to be a good choice for drying but, oddly, I haven't tried that. I have it every year and like all basil, it is easy to start from seed. The Ararat basil is also a pretty plant but pretty darn big and rangy, too. Informal, I think we call that.

Steve
who still will only buy a couple of herb plants this year. build yourself a potting shed with a big South Window :).

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistle, hate to disappoint you but I get tomatoes wayyy before August.

I usually plant good size plants the end of March and the early girls start ripenin around July, I think.

Mary

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thistle, hate to disappoint you but I get tomatoes wayyy before August.

I usually plant good size plants the end of March and the early girls start ripenin around July, I think.

Mary

I don't think "disappointed" is what she'll be...mayhaps we better not describe that look she's gonna give you, Mary!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
No argument there, Wishin! I have plans for a sign that I will hang up in my house in the south (you know after I win the lottery.) "I wasn't born in the South, but I got here as soon as I could!"