Your boring/interesting/exciting Weather!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:barnie I don't know why I even check the forecast this time of year... It's supposed to be very nice tomorrow and it was supposed to be sunny and dry for a couple of days. At least when I checked this morning. But now they are calling for a pretty good chance of rain Sunday. I was counting on a couple of dry days to get my dormant oil sprayed on the fruit trees. When it's not the rain, it's the wind. This is why I never get it done in time, every year, despite my good intentions. The stars would all have to align in order for good weather and babysitting to coincide for me. :(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today's map (on the 1st post) doesn't look so great.

For a good deal of the country, there are storms.

Here, it was just a little gusty at 42F as I am getting things off the dark floor of the greenhouse and out to the unheated hoop house. They are the same temperature right now and there may be enuf sunlight to move them up from 65.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never realized that your map updates itself, Steve. Cool!

Yep, that's a pretty nasty line of storms. Prayers for the folks down south! I have a friend who lives in GA.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my gosh! Me neither.
I'm going to start checking this thread every morning to see what the weather might decide to be.

Steve - how cool would it be if you could somehow overlap the TEG google map and this one? Then we could see who was getting pretty weather and who was getting slammed.. again.. with cold rain...
:he

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have worked very hard at making that first map update itself. Something like that is mostly done with something I call vegetable soup!

Now, you can look into TEG gardeners' backyard using this map to see how much rain has fallen on their gardens during the last 24 hour period of record. Yes, it appears that most of our gardeners with recent rain were located on an arc from central Texas up thru the Great Lakes and into New England:

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/obsmaps/usa-dlyprcp-20130410-big_wbg.pdf

If you want to check what is happening today in an updating image:

NatLoop.gif

that is me off to the right in New Hampshire with the paint brush

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is amazing. Thank you.

I won't even pretend to understand how you did it - I'll just enjoy the fruits of your labor. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I stay up nights programing, programing, programing . . .

:p Nah, It is YOUR computer that is doing it, that and Rob's programing for TEG. Because it is tagged an "image," your computer follows that URL address as it loads the page in your computer.

The Weather Service is showing us that as a "gif" image. Every once in awhile, the Weather Service computer updates that image but it still has the same address.

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why is it raining?

I checked the weather channel yesterday - no rain till Wed. So I planted some radishes and carrots.... When I let the dogs out this morning, it's raining. :barnie I wonder if I'll be able to find my carrots in the grass when they get washed away.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridiculous old world . . . it is really why we can't have nice things! Yeah, we are looking at you World!

My garden soil is rocks! It must be 50% rocks! If it rains very much, I have a rock mulch out there. Of course, those rocks mean I can't grow carrots worth beans!

It is dawn - the entire sky is light! I could see in every direction at 5:30am. What a change from a couple of months ago. I live farther north than any part of the eastern US. Please, I don't want to live further north! I don't care that the winters would be milder in Vancouver!

Some folks have so much trouble understanding the differences in weather, Earth & Space. I got so tired of some BYC people in most of the US saying that you just "shouldn't" provide a light for your birds during the winter. You'd say that to someone in Edmonton who has 18 hours of winter darkness? In Fairbanks with over 20 hours?

Sorry Cane', I hope that good gardening weather shows up sometime soon for you and for all of us.

Steve
Fellow Earth Traveler

Latest posts