Your Weather, 2021

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is supposed to be dry this time of year. Nope. We doubled the monthly rainfall in a few hours.
I don't know how you are faring up there, but down here we are about 30" above average for where we should be this time of the year. At the end of February we were behind but it's made up for a slow start. It may not be the wettest year on record, still about 3 months to go so who knows, but may be worth an honorable mention.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sunny and powder dry here. I have my sheep dry lotted with a big bale of hay and they get fed pellets. What grass there is is brown and crunchy, can't let them on it or they would eat it to the roots.

I will have to set up pens for them at my son's house. It will be a very small pasture and I won't be able to just let them have at it. I'll have to pen them up to give it a chance to grow, rotating them on/off.

The most important plant in the world is grass. Grazing animals provide meat for meat eating animals-including us. Wheat, corn, grains are all grass. Drought really beats up the system. I need rain!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's freezing here at home, 31° at the nearest online thermometer to the big veggie garden.

To add further contrasts to "normals," here's precipitation amounts from my nearest WS station:

Screenshot_20211007-052842_kindlephoto-1276511453.png

Lowest???

digitS'

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know how you are faring up there, but down here we are about 30" above average for where we should be this time of the year. At the end of February we were behind but it's made up for a slow start. It may not be the wettest year on record, still about 3 months to go so who knows, but may be worth an honorable mention.
Tuscaloosa has already broken a record for this time of year being about 20 inches above average for this time of year and Birmingham was about 4 inches below the record before the last round of storms came through last night. As some areas may have gotten as much as 13 inches yesterday it’s very likely has Birmingham broken their record too.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No tornado warnings in the state that I know of from last night. Tennessee had a few. Most of central and East central Alabama seems to have flooding. It wasn’t as nearly as bad here. I think we got about an inch here. The larger town north of us had some flooding but nothing significant close to home. Lots of flooding in Jefferson and Shelby counties and the town of Arab.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My garden had frost at the end of August, one year.

When I first moved to the ID/WA border, I thought that anywhere below 3,000 ft elevation would be a good place for me :). I found this nice little valley and visited a couple of times. There was only one house in the valley, those days.

A friend and I decided to make it a camping trip on one visit. We set up right at 2600 feet, beside the creek. It was the 4th of July and the coffee froze in the pot, overnight.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my strangest weather memories was in the early 1960's in the ridges of East Tennessee, elevation around 1,750 feet. On the last day of school, the first or second of June, I had a half day so when I got home I went to reset some tobacco plants where some had died. It snowed. It did not set, just a light sprinkle, but it snowed. Usually the last day of school was the last day I wore shoes for the summer unless I went somewhere. Not that year, that was cold.

Latest posts