Your Weather, 2024

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It was a nasty thick fog here this morning but thankfully it's cleared away now. Temperature is 9c

We have had a report of 134 day's of snow on the way. Isn't it amazing how they can predict that amount of days or are they just making it up :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday was very, very Spring-like. Blue skies and almost no breeze through the day – with a record--tying afternoon high temperature of 70⁰f (21⁰C) on both sides of the border.

Company at mid-day but I was able to drive rebar stakes in and put together and set up hoops for the hoop house. I will pick up some plastic film for it today :).

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our weather had picked up nicely. It is really quite pleasant right now.
It beats that nasty fog we have had this morning and the weeks of non stop rain

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
28 this morning at 6AM. Had to dash fast, so ponies stayed in their stalls. Nobody was itching to get outside anyway, faster to fill water buckets than to halter and lead out.
25-30MPH winds yesterday. I burned some cardboard anyway, sticks and logs caught, it smoldered for awhile, then the wind blew the fire out.
Once it warms up this week, I hope to have ALL burdock cleaned out the Inner Sanctum, then they will be able to graze their early pasture. There is only a 2 month window before the apples form there. It's only 1/4 acre, so no worry about grass founder.
The ponies will graze, I will chain open the gate to their turnout so that they can get to their water. They will graze, then leave, then back again at least 3x, then I kick them off. This will go on for 3 days before they chew it down to nubs. This grass grew up where there was gravel.
I don't worry about divits, either. It's all for their enjoyment, until the other pastures have past the "too rich" phase.
THEN, I have to mow it. :confused:

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
To give you an idea of what plants have to deal with here:

There was frost on the roof tops under clear skies, stars and about a 3/4 moon this morning. The thermometer said 32.5f but it was freezing a little distant above ground. Having the temperature drop and rise 35+ degrees (or 21⁰C :)) in 12 hours is not at all unusual with low humidity. I cannot really exaggerate and claim 2,000 feet (610 meters) amounts to an Alpine climate but thinking about a move to 3,000 feet years ago and experiencing a frost on 4 July was a deal breaker ;).

Steve

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
28 this morning at 6AM. Had to dash fast, so ponies stayed in their stalls. Nobody was itching to get outside anyway, faster to fill water buckets than to halter and lead out.
25-30MPH winds yesterday. I burned some cardboard anyway, sticks and logs caught, it smoldered for awhile, then the wind blew the fire out.
Once it warms up this week, I hope to have ALL burdock cleaned out the Inner Sanctum, then they will be able to graze their early pasture. There is only a 2 month window before the apples form there. It's only 1/4 acre, so no worry about grass founder.
The ponies will graze, I will chain open the gate to their turnout so that they can get to their water. They will graze, then leave, then back again at least 3x, then I kick them off. This will go on for 3 days before they chew it down to nubs. This grass grew up where there was gravel.
I don't worry about divits, either. It's all for their enjoyment, until the other pastures have past the "too rich" phase.
THEN, I have to mow it. :confused:
How many ponies do you have? Would love to see a pic or 2. (I get my equine fix vicariously these days.) Burdocks are horrible little hitch-hiking pests for sure. I once read a how-to to remove burrs from manes and tails by soaking in vegetable oil, combing them out, and then of course shampooing the oil out of horse hair, but never had to resort to this. Good luck winning the battle against the evil burdock, It can be done, but it takes persistence.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cold weather here, after unseasonable warm temps last week (50s F). An inch or so of fluffy snow on the ground this morning to remind us that it is still technically winter I guess. I have to take Mabel the wild sheltie to a vet apt for exam, HW/Lyme test, and Lyme/Lepto shot in 2 weeks, and I want to bathe her prior to this, preferable outdoors with the warm water garden hose. However this week is predicted to stay cold, so hoping that next week temps will rise and I can hook up the hose. Maple producers near me are waiting out the cold spell too, after an early boil.

Latest posts