Your Weather, 2024

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've had 70 degree days, and 40 degree nights*. I spend a lot of time opening and closing protective covers for the annuals and herbs, but so far so good. *anything below 40 gets an extra layer of old sheets or quilts.

11 days to opening the produce stand. What I've got is herbs and flowers, we outsource the actual produce until local farms are producing.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
cold and bright with the sun coming up right now (shining in my eyes). 17F... snow covered and very pretty. the forecast for today is mid-30sF and that warm plus the sun will melt off the skating rink (aka the driveway).

my plan yesterday worked, which was to get out and shovel early enough that it would melt any snow that remained or tried to cover it up again.

it did snow a little bit through the rest of yesterday but it did not start freezing up until the sun had gone down. with the sun mostly behind the clouds i didn't know if it would be enough warmth to keep it melted but it was.

i don't have to go out today to shovel any more, but i sure would not want to be trying to walk on it for the next few hours until the sun can warm it all up again and melt it clear.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had spring-in-winter with 50 degree (F) weather; then this past week winter-in-spring with bitter winds and temps in the 30s (F). Now the weather gods have decided to play what I hope will be the last sick joke of the year - a huge snowstorm. There are few things I dislike more than shoveling a foot of snow first thing in the morning with pajama pants tucked into a pair of winter boots so the dogs can access their "potty area" before I've even put the kettle on for tea.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
REALLY don't forget!!! You can buy the glasses in many places. Do NOT, NOT, NOT, use glasses you saved from years ago!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
They have disintegrated and you can burn out your retinas!!
Save all your glasses for Halloween-ween, one "ween."

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our "stormy weekend," wasn't.

I suspect that there wasn't a tenth of an inch of anything that fell. Snow amounted to flakes falling with the sprinkle of raindrops that showed up, now and then. I was reading that our mountain Winter snowpack is now being rated at 70% of normal.

The sun came out yesterday during the final hours of daylight and the full moon is shining down through only the lightest of cloud cover right now. And, it is securely below freezing anywhere near by. Plants in the 35⁰f (2⁰C) greenhouse (still unheated) are only those that can take some cold and are securely on the floor. The ones in the house are quickly taking up too much of the South Window with me moving pepper seedlings soon.

Steve

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don't Forget!!!
Good luck to the worms trying to emerge from the ground; we still have about a foot of snow.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ground protected by snow is nicer for the worms than the ground that is exposed.

we had some nice rains today and then a squall line went through, nothing too serious for us. just springkling...

Latest posts