2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #24

Smith River Super Speckle - Bush, Dry

I had grown this variety back in the early 1980's, and listed a lot back then in the Seed Savers Exchange Yearbook. The bean originated as an outcross from Jacob's Cattle although grown now as a stable variety for decades. The seed of this bean is also dependant on soil for the way it looks. The originator of the variety is an early Seed Saver Exchange member Jerry Gatchell of Drain, Oregon. Jerry lived about 30 miles south of the Smith River in Oregon. Total Seed Harvest: 13.20 ounces (374 grams)

Smith River SS #2.JPG

Smith River Super Speckle - Bush, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Soldier - Bush, Dry

A much grown bean in the New England states for a long time. Has been cultivated there before 1800. The bean is great in baked bean dishes and soups. It has a pleasant mild flavor and it compatible with any taste you apply to a recipe.

Soldier.JPG

Soldiear - Bush, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Solon Mills - Pole, Dry

One of the outcrossed beans sent to me by Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine. It hasn't changed in appearance since I planted the original seed in 2015, and has not produced any off type seed coats. So I decided to name it after a small hamlet here in the county where I live called Solon Mills. The variations in color from yellow to tan is the result of moist pods from our late summer wet weather. The seed in genearlly yellow in tone. Total Seed Harvest: 8.00 ounces (226 grams).

Solon Mills.JPG

Solon Mills - Pole, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #25

Spring Grove - Pole

One of the Will Bonsall outcrosses that my network people had a chance at growing out and naming in 2016. Someone did grow it out in 2016 but I didn't mark who it was on my spreadsheet. So I decided to grow it out this summer and gave it this name. It did produce three off type seeds which I will not grow (photos 2 & 3) It did fairly well and produced 9.25 ounces of beans (262 grams).

Spring Grove.JPG

Spring Grove - Pole

Spring Grove OT #1.JPG

Spring Grove 2019 Off Type - Pole

Spring Grove OT #2 & 3.JPG

Spring Grove 2019 Off Types - Pole

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Spring Vally Purple - Bush, Dry

A Robert Lobitz original named bean that he released through the Seed Savers Exchange Yearbook in 2004. I acquired this bean through a trade with a grower in Jefferson, Maine in November 2018. The bean not a productive as some of Robert's other beans. The bean reminds me of Purple Stardust and produced one off type (photo #2) this summer. The off type looks like somone had been raising pinto beans near this one. Total Seed Harvest: 4.15 ounces (117 grams)

Spring Valley Purple.JPG

Spring Valley Purple - Bush, Dry

Spring Valley Purple OT.JPG

Spring Valley 2019 Off Type - Bush, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Stoney Creek - Bush, Dry

Found this bean in 2016 in a white segregation of Jacob's Cattle Amish . I've grown this bean three times so far and it's a ways away from being stable. It produced one white off type this summer (Photo #2). Total Seed Harvest including it's off type: 16.55 ounces (469 grams).

Stoney Creek.JPG

Stoney Creek - Bush, Dry

Stoney Creek #2 - OT.JPG

Stoney Creek Off Type - Bush, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Succotash - Pole, Dry

One of the more popular beans on my website. Previous seed crops were sold completely out except for a small amount of seed held back for growing new beans. This is the third time I've grown the bean since 2012. My earliest encounter with the bean was the early 1980's. The variety comes from North America originally Native American nations of the north, Narragansett mostly. The bean was used in a dish of the same name frequently combined with other things mainly corn. The bean did very well this year. Total Seed Harvest: 20.70 ounces (586 grams).

Succotash.JPG

Succotash - Pole, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Tamila - Pole, Dry

The bean is grown mainly in Western Ukraine. The plants are a moderate climber. Maybe could even be called a half runner. Not as productive this summer as in a previous grow out. Many of the beans though were in nice condition. Total Seed Harvest: 7.55 ounces (214 grams).

Tamila.JPG

Tamila - Pole, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #26

Tranquility - Pole, Dry

A product of the many outcrossed beans sent to me by Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine in 2015. The original bean that Tranquility comes from was grown out by and named by Ridgerunner in 2016. I grew out the seed this year to get a bigger supply of this bean. Seemed more like a semi runner than a pole bean. Not a big climber. Love these flat medium purple beans. Tranquility did produce one off type a purple glossy seeded bean.

Tranquility #1.JPG

Tranquility - Pole, Dry

Tranquility OT.JPG

Tranquility Off Type - Pole, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #26

Tramonto Di Trebua - Pole, Dry

One of seveal Network beans that I grew out this year. An Italian snap bean. Sent to me by Joseph Simcox "The Botancial Explorer" in 2015. Very productive. Produces a profusion of pods. Total Seed Harvest: 19.75 ounces (559 grams).

Tremento Di Trebua.JPG

Tremento Di Trebua - Pole, Snap

Last edited: