Anyone starting seeds yet?

chicken stalker

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Detlor Poultry said:
Right now, I'm just growing some Easter plants for church ( a Nasturtium, and some Farewell-to-Spring plants). They'll be blooming by Easter. The first veggies to get started are Watermellons (April), followed by Melon/Cucumbers (April-May).
wow you're way up there!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, I have a few tiny onion spouts. All of my seeds came yesterday so I am going to start my herbs, lettuce and cabbage this weekend. I may start some peppers too. They seem like they take forever sometimes and that way they will have a good start.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been itching to start my seedlings, so yesterday I finally bought myself a tray of 72 Jiffy seed starter pellets with the separate cells, etc., and a couple of the low-wattage 'twisty bulbs' as we call them that give off natural daylight to use as plant lights (we did so successfully previously).

Still, it's a little early to actually START them, but I feel like I have to do something so I started making homemade seed tape a couple of days ago from instructions I found online. It is my first time trying this technique and am hoping it goes well.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am planning on putting in some covered beds so it should be OK to start planting in my area some time in March (I hope?!?!) Which is why I am justifing starting seeds. I read that if cabbage is in temps at or below 50 for very long then it can bolt. So I am trying to get ahead of that and still have early cabbage and lettuce.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
epitman said:
it makes me mad when i go to lowes or home depot or even walmart in the first week of march and they have all of there tomato, peppers, and other stuff out and they are 10 times bigger than what i have started. can someone tell me when bonnie starts there seeds????? ok yes i have a grow light and lots of stuff growing and sprouting and i am using rainwater and fertilizer. I WILL NOT BE OUT DONE BY BONNIE THIS YEAR!!!!! :thumbsup
I believe that their plants are over fertilized to make them look good for selling. My plants often look punier but when I plant mine side-by-side with the few that I might buy to supplement what I grow, mine always outgrow them. Those big plants seem to just sit there for a while before they grow.
They are also grown in professional greenhouses that are perfectly controlled by experts.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted broccoli and cabbage in flats yesterday. I have them set about 2" below the florescent lights. I plan to put a fan on them part time when they emerge.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought my eggplant seeds were a loss... but this morning I woke up and I had 1 tiny little eggplant sprout making its way through the soil! I haven't been this happy about something so small in a very long time! :lol:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats, Nachoqtpie! There is something so exciting about those little sprouts! Happy Gardening!

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have moonflower sprouts under lights! One was up Friday and I asked my husband to rig up more heat yesterday-this morning I had three more!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ally, I always have a hard time with those moonflowers germinating. Good job!

Latest posts