Kitchen coming along ok.,

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We did a lot of rehabbing old properties and spouse aways said, "They don't make houses like they used to." followed by a loud, "Thank God!"

So many clitches made during original construction and so many mistakes to correct from subsiquent remodeling projects. He always preferred starting from scratch with new building.

With each glaring error, he would remind me, "This is why there are so many building rules now. So many people thought anyone could do remodeling work" and proceeded to mangle the structural integrity of the building.

Every rehab job takes longer and is more involved than it looks like it should -- mostly for that reason. Still the end is worth the effort and trouble. Like childbirth, you will so enjoy the new kitchen that the pain of construction will quickly fade.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_2717.JPG
IMG_2727.JPG
image.jpg

The first picture is the light fixture over the sink. The light hood came from an local industrial manufacturing plant that was torn down and salvaged. It was a great green color that I wanted to keep but was vetoed by wifey. Ended up painting it with the rustolium hammered bronze paint turned out way better than I thought it would. Then took out the old light electrical and put new modern guts in it, and 3/4" black iron pipe for mounting hardware
The second picture is the pendant lights I put over the peninsula . We purchased the lights and I built a hanging mount out of 3/4" black iron pipe again to match the light over sink, I think it turned out nice.
The third picture is of the new gas stove which is a big change from electric range. Also you can see the backsplash and grout is done. I have a few more small things to do but it is 100% functioning now.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is too many mistakes, hope they are giving you a discount for them. I would put it right in her face and say I have been very quite about all your mistake please take some money off total .
We did not contract with the designer, she is an employee of the firm we contracted with. They now have to eat the cost of all of the incorrect cabinets, as they are custom in terms of color and door style. They have gone overboard in making amends by installing much more PVC than we contracted for. In addition, the person they have working here has removed floor tile that would have been hidden by the new cabinets and used it to replace damaged tile, installed a new ceiling light fixture and replaced the passage set on the front door, all of which was not part of the contract. He even shoveled snow from the driveway. Our plumber had given us an estimate of about $2,000 to replace the copper pipe in the basement, but now it has been taken care of. We wanted the pipe behind the sheetrock replaced, as we did not want to have to rip out the cabinets in case there was a leak. We will also receive a $200 credit. It is hard to believe that in this area there is only one company that manufacturers counter tops, be it formica or stone. They do all the tops for Home Depot, Lowes, Curtis and all of the independents, so getting them to even come to measure takes a while. We called several contractors for estimates for our project and only a few even bothered to return our call as they have all the work they can handle. Who would believe that there are so many people who want to completely disrupt their lives?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our project is finally starting to take shape. They removed all the old sheetrock and replaced all of the copper pipes for the kitchen and bath with PVC, including the large drains in the basement. We have not had a sink in weeks but today the craftsman connected the new dishwasher temporarily so at least we won't have to do the dishes in the basement in the laundry sink. That said, we have to wait for the countertop people and it is still going to be several more weeks until the countertop goes in and the tile backsplash can be installed.
The designer made an error and ordered the over sink cabinets and valence in reverse, so they had to be reordered, which caused another delay. The replacements came in yesterday, but she made another error and ordered the wrong color cabinets. She also failed to notify the countertop manufacturer, so that caused a delay also, and she provided the wrong hardware for the drawer pulls. This is the fifth error she has made on our project and I expect to call and ask for her and have them say: "she no longer works here." If Edith Bunker had a twin sister, this would be her.
We are still missing cabinets and lighting and tile, but at least we are not living out of boxes, and, they will not be back until the countertop is in so we can have some privacy for a few weeks until it starts again. God, give me strength to survive this project.

View attachment 24317

View attachment 24318 View attachment 24319

View attachment 24320
When redid our kitchen 30 years ago they ripped it out and asked for a check. I told them they would get a check when the cabinets were delivered the next day. It was half the cost left after the deposit. I said can you imagine me standing in front of a judge and saying "Yes" they ripped out my kitchen and I gat them a big chunk of money. I paid the check the next day when they delivered the cabinets.It was mostly done after a week. It was 4 weeks before they came back to finish. In the last few days, the worker kept asking for the last check. I finally said, "Not until the last nail is set." I am sure it would never have been quite done had I not done that. And a guy was fired because of the work he did.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collector that is an amazing transformation! You did good! Love the counter top, all the trim, the lights--everything!

Jack, this too shall pass........it's sorta like being pregnant. Big, fat, uncomfortable, can't sleep because someone is kicking your belly-from the inside! The pain of childbirth......it is all gone the moment the child is born. All you are going through will be worth it when the job is done and you have your kitchen and life back!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collector, your kitchen is amazing! Looks perfect, and your light fixtures are spot on.
I would have kept the old green color on the sink light. Give it a good buffing with BriWax and it would have looked farmy chic.
But I love green, and not everybody does.

I used that same hammered bronze paint on a cd player that I got cheap from Amazon because it was a screaming neon yellow. It was exactly half the price of the same model in black. I painted it and it looks really great.