That blue bottle tread that we all needed but dared not start.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH and I went to a local creek today to just soak up some sun and look for fossils. What did I see in the weeds and brush all around the creek? Shattered blue bottles! everywhere! That makes me so angry when the local yokels do that. We like to take the grandkids to the creek to wade and play. :somad

On a less hostile note, I think you could use food coloring and Elmer's glue mixed, to coat the inside of a clear glass bottle, to make it red. You would just have to seal it up so water doesn't get in.

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DH and I went to a local creek today to just soak up some sun and look for fossils. What did I see in the weeds and brush all around the creek? Shattered blue bottles! everywhere! That makes me so angry when the local yokels do that. We like to take the grandkids to the creek to wade and play. :somad

On a less hostile note, I think you could use food coloring and Elmer's glue mixed, to coat the inside of a clear glass bottle, to make it red. You would just have to seal it up so water doesn't get in.
That's an idea. Or some oil based stain. The only stain I have is green though. Maybe I should stop fighting the over abundance of green and just use them.---But if another beer manufacturer made a batch or really awful beer, we'd buy it all up just for red bottles.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I even have the white stuff to sprinkle over them!

bottle art in snow.jpg

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
While we're talking about it I did see a very cool idea where the homeowner drilled holes in a wooden privacy fence & plugged the holes with colored marbles!

Gave the colored light effect trickling through the fence but you still had a strong sturdy fence.

My husband has been collecting the marbles out of spray cans for decades. I have a use for them now. The are in a jar on the window sill in the barn.
oh! I could put some in the doors of the barn. maybe not. I did melt the carpet in my car with a glass bottle full of water.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh! When I was a little girl my dad saved the marble in the can for me. I think they were usually cat-eyes. I always hoped for a "steelie" or a "peery" (piery?) because they were more valuable in the playground marble shooting games. :)

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, Like the ones in the link. Blue, green, coke bottle blue. My brother got all the ones when we were little, because he was bigger I suppose, anyway, they were red and brown and dark colors. Now they seem to be light clear colors.
Every once in a while they will put a nut in it and that's a disappointment.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, you learn something new everyday!! I had no idea...I do have a large marble collection- but just regular ones, not from paint cans.

Latest posts