The Community Garden Project - The Easy Garden Community WEIGHS In!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I killed some plants because I forgot to bring them in. Most are OK though. I keep having to buy dirt and it is making me mad. My fault for adding so many beds at one time :barnie

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I ned to add up my expenses now becasue I THINK I am done buying things for this years garden. :) I have lots of tomato and pepper plants doing very nicely, and I am planting potatoes and peas outside. It will be at least a month before I can start adding any thing in black to my records. :)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i just bought 15 fruit trees and 20 1yr old blueberry bushes and spend about $150 on all of them. i won't be seeing anything back from them for a couple of years, so it's really a future investment.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Future investments are great!!!

We bought 4 fruit trees this year as well, so the investments will have time to mature. One day we will be selling extra fruit , so I am sure I will get a quick return and profit the year they are ready. Though I do have 2 fruit trees with fruit develping this year, not a lot but enough for us to enjoy.

I am pretty much done spending too... though I forgot to record my last 2 trips to the nursery. I have to find the reciepts. It wasn't anything crazy... I want to say one trip was only like $5 and one was like $4.

Today however... I had my first harvest and I must record that. 2lbs of radishes. :D Though I was going to stirfry the greens in garlic and olive oil... I saw I was out of garlic. So the chickens got to eat some after all. ;)

rainnotebook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Came over from BYC... I'm down for this. Been preparing my garden and have my receipts ready to be counted. I'm curious to see how my pricing will be.

Thanks for the idea!

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got another ton of compost, this time about half top soil and am working over the rest of the gardens...

I THINK this is nearly it too... although I may need a little more dirt to finish off my concord grapes which SOMEHOW or another have actually made it through the winter neglected in the store bought pots.

I was getting ready to toss them, since they were last years discounts and it wasn't until after I got them that I realized what trouble it was to plant them here so I just tossed them aside. Now I have it all figured out and since they volunteered to try again I will give it a shot! :)

$210 is where I'm at right now.... and hungry! :weight

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First off, :welcome to rainnotebook! Glad to see you make your way over.

Secondly, I've been messing with my numbers and I think I'm missing a few things.... but so far, I'm still around $200 so not so bad this year. Buying trees like we did too.

I have decided to start adding in my chicken expenses as well. Like Wife, I buy food, I eat eggs and I sell chickens... they are part of my back yard gardening experience. :D

I can't wait to see how this turns out.... I got my neighbor and my husband's best friend's wife excited about this project today, and they'll be joining in for sure.

(Funny how she didn't know tomatoes are annual... she was waiting for a tomato plant to come back from last year! LOL)

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I updated my spread sheet and used this site to figure out how to do the formulas :D http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Docs/thread?tid=25b1d17f232c54cc&hl=en

I didn't even have to bug hubby!

The poultry ARE paying for themselves this year...BUT...LAST YEAR is when the pen and fencing costs occurred. Kind of cheating to not have that factored in I guess. I do need to factor the cost of the quail pen in, but most of that was stuff I got free or things leftover from building the duck pen. I think it is under $30.

Totals are in row 75. Items marked PC are things that were Personally Consumed. Value of items used are based on what I can get for them in my area selling on craigslist or the value I would have to pay for organics at Whole Foods or Vitamin Cottage.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtnLvCx3SmtUdEQ4ZUFaN01kSVpjbVNvUFAwUTdUbGc&hl=en

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your spread sheet looks 100x better them mine so far Wife! LOL

Anyways, my husband mentioned keeping track of items I received from trades (mark it with a T he says) he wants me to make note that things I weight and count as produce I harvest, came from somewhere! There were not just 'poof' tomatoes from no where... all my seeds I traded for and I get to count have to be noted... so I think I'm going to do that. But that is just for personal.

Latest posts