This is Luke

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, I admit I know next to nothing about horse riding, but it looks to me like there are no saddles. I guess I am used to seeing western style saddles, showing a lot more leather. Are they English style saddles? I don't even see stirrups. Perhaps I need to have my eyes checked. Maybe you are riding bareback? :\
If it were me, I'd need to be duck taped on.

We just used horse colored duck tape So Lucky.

No, she and I are both riding English, mine's an endurance type and the greys is an all purpose. The other two gals with us were riding western.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a 30 year old Tennessee Walker that I don't ride any more due to her breathing issues. I sure miss riding her! She gets to live out the rest of her life with us, no shipping off to slaughter for her!
I used to give one of my horses wild mullein to help with her cough. It is easy to find around here. I would put it through the blender and add it to her grain as she would not eat it willingly.. I think it helped her a lot. It is medicinal but no matter how much you give them you will not over dose them..

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why is horse on left wearing socks?

Those are protective boots so he doesn't get a tendon injury if he happened to overreach and clobbered himself, they also help if you're riding through rough stuff, popping over downed logs with stubs etc.

He's such an awesome horse (the gray). He was just a racehorse 4 months ago, my friend bought him off the track. He's a little too laid back to be a winner apparently. She's turning him into a cross country jumper and trail horse supreme. He's only four, but very sensible. Of course he still is a Thoroughbred...;)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to give one of my horses wild mullein to help with her cough. It is easy to find around here. I would put it through the blender and add it to her grain as she would not eat it willingly.. I think it helped her a lot. It is medicinal but no matter how much you give them you will not over dose them..

Thanks for that tip! I dug a couple of mullein plants off the side of the road so I could establish a patch of them here. I didn't know that about giving them to horses for cough. My mare coughs something terrible when it gets dry and the sand (dust) is blowing. We covered the whole barn yard area with wood chips to cut down on the dust for her.

did you give it to your horse daily? Did you give a whole leaf or part of one?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks like a nice ride. It's always fun to ride with friends. Your friends gray is beautiful. It is amazing how cheap OTTB's can be if you are in the right place at the right time. A little training and their value goes right back up.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for that tip! I dug a couple of mullein plants off the side of the road so I could establish a patch of them here. I didn't know that about giving them to horses for cough. My mare coughs something terrible when it gets dry and the sand (dust) is blowing. We covered the whole barn yard area with wood chips to cut down on the dust for her.

She is gone, broke her leg 2 summers ago, and only needed it for less than a year. You can google better directions. I dried it and crinkled the dried leaves into her grain. I made a blended paste with the green leaves, again mixing it into her grain. I think I even used the seed stalk, but it has been a while. The roots might be good too-can't remember. You can't over do it-it is not toxic like other herbs.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

Also the seed grow very easily.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my plants has a flower stalk on it. I am happy about that. My Grandpa told me how his mother would make a tonic from mullein for fever when he was a boy.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks like a nice ride. It's always fun to ride with friends. Your friends gray is beautiful. It is amazing how cheap OTTB's can be if you are in the right place at the right time. A little training and their value goes right back up.
What's OTTB's?

Mary