Your boring/interesting/exciting Weather!

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Almost 70 degrees last weekend. Tonight, a snowstorm expecting to bring 3-4".... That's Lower Slower Delaware.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, our state is most certainly blessed with the best views in nature.

One thing that really struck me was how green and lush this state is after I flew home from TX. You could look down and literally see the ground spring to life below you. I didn't realize how burnt and brown Texas was until I came home. My eyes had been so starved for color.

We get the best of all 4 seasons, that's for sure.

I like "visiting" places through Google Earth too, Marshall. It can sure get your imagination going. Makes me want to go hiking!

I know I am dreading Sunday/Monday, Monty! It's my job to get up in the middle of the night and check the woodstove. I knew it had to be about that time...when real winter sets in! But my calendar says to be looking for my bluebirds to make an appearance any day now. So there's something to look forward to. ;)

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Last fews days was FREEEZING ! 10 degrees . dry weather no ice . Cold enough for people that live in desert !! Now is starting to warm up and I m going to dig up my garden for my chickens (bug hunting) :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought about posting the Weather Service's new drought map but I think you folks know where you are . . .

And yet, it is important that those of us not "there" know a little about what you are experiencing. It looks like it will be a bit of a struggle again this year for gardeners in a large part of the US.

Joan, it is amazing to me to see how much rainfall that has fallen in your neck of the woods! The storm pattern has been right up the Mississippi, for the most part. The Ohio River Valley looks to be in real good shape for the amount of rain that has fallen in recent months and for what is predicted.

I can remember reading last year what some folks in northern Ohio were saying. I was thinking, "Really?" But, they were never slammed so hard as folks in many other areas. It is a matter of perspective and what we expect and what is normal. Of course, it isn't just the people that are affected. The plants and animals around us have to adapt when there is change and, really, sometimes that isn't possible.

We can't be all set up to live life on the High Chaparral. In fact, many of us are where we'd think it would be more like Tom Sawyer, Life on the Mississippi.

Steve

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I thank you for your thoughtfulness in NOT reminding me of our lack of moisture!

Actually, we've been dry for so long, I'm about to become adapted. The first year, it was denial. Last year, I spent a small fortune in drip hoses and systems. This year, I have a couple of areas that I need to get more regular water to, but most of the garden is now as water-retaining as possible and I (keeping my fingers crossed) have gotten varieties that are fairly drought resistant. BTW, I loved the planting directions for some seeds from NativeSearch...plant with the monsoon!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Heavens! I can't take this much longer!

Visibility when I got up this morning was 1/16th of a mile at a local airport. There has been some precipitation recorded overnight but that's just because of the freezing fog!

The high temperature was only above freezing once in the last month and that was because we had winds above 30mph, 10 days ago. The weather service is promising some sunshine this afternoon . . . it'll probably come on in a charcoal grey!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have been getting sunshine for the last few days, mostly in the afternoon, Friday and Saturday were beautiful. Once the sky cleared and the sun shone, all the trees with fog vapor frozen on their limbs and twigs looked magical. :coolsun

The sun is making an effort at coming out right now, kind of in fits and starts, but I think we'll see that pretty blue sky yet again today.

Sorry it hasn't been shining for you. :(

A change would be good. I'd like to order some warmer days so the snow loosens up and I can open the gates to the pens without having to use a pick on the slab of frozen gluck the chickens have been leaving for me in the entrance. I finally got smart and used a scrap of fencing to keep them back from the gate. I don't know why they think they need to congregate there and stare at the back door...

Latest posts