What are you eating from the garden today?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jack, did you say earlier what kind of tomatoes those are? They look great. About 3 times the size of mine. :oops:
They are Tropic tomatoes. I bought seeds from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange years ago and liked them very much. This year's plants are from seeds saved from last year's tomatoes. They grow well both in the garden and greenhouse. Although they were bred for hot humid climates they do well here in NY.
'This variety developed by the Univ. of Florida is almost certain to grow in almost any climate. Very disease resistant, 9 oz. red fruit (with some green shoulders) is thick-walled and is excellent choice for garden or greenhouse production. Highly recommended for those areas that are hot and humid and prone to disease. Great sweet tomatoey flavors."

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
20160721_190346.jpg

Made "fried" zucchini using buttermilk at @Beekissed 's suggestion. Double dredged, first in buttermilk, then seasoned flour, more buttermilk, then into Panko crumbs mixed with a little parmesan. Lined cookie sheet with foil, sprayed with canola oil, sprayed tops of zucchini with a little more canola oil and baked in the oven at 450 degrees, turning once midway through. We dipped ours in ranch and had with burgers. DH and Ava loved them. They came out nice and crispy.

Also made Amish style Cole Slaw with some of my cabbage today, which I'm taking to our 4-H banquet tomorrow.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's vinaigrette based, no mayo. This is the recipe I made. Super quick and easy to make. I added a couple carrots for color and used a sweet vidalia onion.

It seems like a lot of sugar when you're dumping it in, but it makes a huge bowl full of slaw!

Oh that looks good! Dh loves coleslaw, so I printed out the recipe and I'm going to surprise him for Sundays meal. Thanks!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think my eyes playing tricks first is 1 cup white sugar then under that 1 teaspoon white sugar seems strange but I don't cook,would a teaspoon made much of a difference ?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think my eyes playing tricks first is 1 cup white sugar then under that 1 teaspoon white sugar seems strange but I don't cook,would a teaspoon made much of a difference ?

I thought that was odd too, but the 1 cup gets tossed in with the shredded cabbage and the other 1 tsp gets boiled with the brine. Seemed like such a trivial amount. I don't think it would hurt to add a lil' more. ;)

Latest posts